Does reading the bible and going to Church make you a Christian?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, confessing you are a sinner, incapable of saving yourself, and asking for forgiveness from God,and asking Jesus to come into your heart,and save you. Then, applying that to your life,and living in a way that you are helping advance the Kingdom of God daily. That is what makes one a Christian.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 3:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• No it doesn't. That just mean you attend a church and read the bible!
    NickyJamesMom

Answer by NickyJamesMom at 3:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Who are you to judge, whoever it is you are talking about, you don't know the relationship they have with GOD, you shouldn't just go by what you see. You need to ask that person that question. Unless you are someone who wasn't raised in church or around christians and don't know or understand the meanings of things, well no JUST reading a bible and sitting in church doesn't make someone christian. It's how good their heart is, how they live thier life and their morales.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• no not that alone..

"going to church doesn't make you a christian, just like standing in a garage doesn't make you a car" ~not sure who said it.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• UHHH I am not talking about one person in particular. *you in general*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Momma Roxx

Judging is one thing, have questions and doubt is another. We are not to be blind sheep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Obeying God's will and having the spirit of His Son dwell in you heart makes you a Christian. Only God will be the true judge of wether or not you are truly "In Christ".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• No... as I just said in my question... It's beliefs AND actions that constitute someone as a member of a religion. I read my bible a good bit, mainly for research, and as a young person attended church 3 times a week, I had a personal bible study and did personal and daily readings... I was NEVER Christian. I never believed any of it. If you are going through the motions without the beliefs it doesn't count... If you claim to have the beliefs but refuse to go through the motions do you really believe as much as you say you do? Religion isn't all about actions or words... It's an internal thing that has to be felt and then acted on... One without the other really doesn't work well.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:15 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Momma Rox isn't a being blind, the person who posted the question really didn't give any information about what she was asking, so momma rox gave her options! MommaRox has an open mind!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• This is wrong.
    Who are you to judge, whoever it is you are talking about, you don't know the relationship they have with GOD, you shouldn't just go by what you see. You need to ask that person that question. Unless you are someone who wasn't raised in church or around christians and don't know or understand the meanings of things, well no JUST reading a bible and sitting in church doesn't make someone christian. It's how good their heart is, how they live thier life and their morales.

It is accepting Christ as their personal savior and believing He died on the cross for our sins.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2009