My daughter still has a poochy belly at age 13, she is thin everywhere else and excercises and really does not overeat. Will she lose this as she gets taller? Will it go down with sit-ups? Will it do down when she gets her period? I don't know how to help her, she hates it, but I don't want her to be obsessed about it.

Imamomof2.5

Asked by Imamomof2.5 at 4:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Her body still has a lot of changing to do before she gets her adult figure. I'm sure that her belly will change. She could do situps and that might help, but I had the same thing when I was her age and sit-ups didnt help me. It took getting boobs and hips and after that my belly was no longer noticable.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:11 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• it's part of puberty and very normal
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I was told and I have also read the same thing, that it can depend on body type. There are some women, who no matter how many sit ups and crunches will always have a slight mound at their abdomen. Its not usually fat, but actually their organs that might not "fit' the same way another girl's do and is causing this, but its usually a very slight mound. But to a teen who wants "flat" it will look like "fat". I know because while I didn't obsess over mine as a teen, I did have one, and it did make feel a bit self concious to wear a bikini even though I was a dainty size 8. Now, I wish I looked like I did and wonder what the heck I was thinking! No wonder my BFF's looked at me crazy when I pointed it out to them!
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 5:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2009