Working mama!

I work over 40 hours a week, often having to stay late and only see my baby for an hour or so a night. I hate it.. i morn for her in the evenings when i know i will be here late. I resent my job b/c of this but not working is not an option. I struggle to find accceptance and not get depressed over is but nothing helps! any advice? anyone going through something similar?

napgiver

Asked by napgiver at 4:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• LOL! Yes, actually most of my children's growing up years. I just made sure that I totally dedicated the weekends to my children. We would get up Saturday AM and go to ballet lessons, after that we would all have breakfast together and maybe do some shopping or go the park. Sundays were are stay in the house in our pajamas day! It was hectic, but my kids always had their needs met.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I completely understand how you feel. I also work 40 hr weeks and feel that I am spending no time with my girls. After I get off work it is baths, dinner, homework a little time together and then bed. I also do not have the option of not working. I am struggling with the same feeling of missing them and not giving them all the quality time they do need from us as there mothers. I also try to dedicate the majority of my weekends to them. Then we also have to realize not to feel bad because we need to work to support them and give them what they need. It is sooo hard being a working mother!
    emandennasmom

Answer by emandennasmom at 4:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• With my first child I was in the same position. DH lost his job and I had the only income. I went back to work after 5 weeks and then was never home. I even had to give up breast feeding because I couldn't afford a pump that would keep up with my demand be away from home so much. I did like the other have said. Weekends were just for us. Family time. With time things got better. I now have two kids and have been able to cut my hours back to 30 a week. So my best advice would be to cherish the time you do get. Know that your child loves you like no other because you are her mother. Nothing will ever change that no matter how much you work. Even when you feel that the child care provider sees more of your baby than you! The last thing I would tell you would be that nothing is permanent. You don't know what the future holds. You may not be in this situation forever.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:15 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I currently work seven days a week, so I am missing a lot too. But it would be FAR worse if I wasn't working, since my husband is still out of work.

We do what we must.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2009