My 6-year-old son suddenly said to me that he wanted to be a girl. I asked him why. He said being a girl is better. I told him being a boy is good too. He asked me why it is good to be a boy. Then I didn't know how to answer him. I told him being a boy or a girl is equally good. If he says to me next time that he thinks being a girl is better and wished to be a girl, what should I say to him?

I guess my son has this

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• He never told you why it was better. Have him elaborate. Is his father around or some other male figure?
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 10:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Tell him that by being a boy he can get away with playing any sport he wants... getting dirty anytime he wants.. Not having to sit properly (legs crossed, etc) ... things like that. I know girls can do anything they want to as well but boys get by with alot more doing those things mentioned.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 4:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I wanted to be a boy because they could pee standing up. My older brother and cousin had "who could pee farther" contests. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Girls have to shave their legs, have periods, worry about if their pants make their butts look fat, ect.
    I don't know if you want to tell him any of that though,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• At 6 years old a boy isn't going to understand the whole period and weight issue. Hell I don't know many girls who understand it at that age.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 4:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• hi, you could always take the creation route...tell him that God has dreams planned for him that can only come true if was created a boy, so God thought and thought while he (your son) was in your belly and decided to make him a boy so all his dreams could come true.
    mfavelo

Answer by mfavelo at 4:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Tell him guys totally have it made. They get paid more, get to only work 8 hours a day (while it's like.....18-20 hours a day for the women at home), it's easier to get dressed and to go pee, etc. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Maybe ask him if he wants to try a dress on, see how he feels in it. You never know what he will feel. He may think it's silly once he has it on, or you may find out that he truly likes how it feels and then it's time to start counseling. Not that there's anything wrong but it will take time for you, and your family to understand why it's better to let him feel how he feels, no matter what he chooses.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Ok, at first I thought Anon 8:41 was wacko.....then I thought about it. Let him dress up in the most restrictive uncomfortable dress and tights, stiff tight shoes and let him so how uncomfortable it can be to be a girl. Too bad they don't have children control top panty hose and 3 inch high heels. That would surely get the point across.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I have the opposite situation. I have a 6-year-old girl who says she wants to be a boy. I'm not sure why? Any advice?
    SaraCVT

Answer by SaraCVT at 9:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2009