Shaving her legs.

My oldest turned 10 in August. She is going into puberty, and I have caught her twice shaving her legs. Well that was a few months back, she was sitting next to me the other night and I happened to look, her leg hair is so long, its light colored, but long, like fuzzy wuzzy. So should I allow her to shave or not? I told her no till she was 13, but holy moly by than she will have to brush it! I dont kow what to do with her, we just started plucking the eyebrows.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• If she has hair on her legs and doesn't like it why wouldn't you allow her to shave her legs?
    Let her shave her legs, you wouldn't want to walk around with hairy legs.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 4:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I just dont think 10 is old enough. and I think shaving is a pain in the @$$ so I do it the minimum. I really could care less if my legs are hairy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I remember being in 5th grade and being made fun of for NOT shaving, but my mom wouldn't allow it!! I don't see what's wrong with it, it's a part of growing up.
    Anonymous

• It is obviously something that bothers her since she was shaving without telling you. I would let her don't really see a problem with it.
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 4:23 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I have an 11 year old and we have had this discussion many times.. What we decided to do is buy one of the bladeless razors and the hair remover cream! NO cuts No nicks … I monitor and everyone is Happy… Now if I could only get her to compromise on the makeup issue life would be GREAT!
    Andiemarton

Answer by Andiemarton at 4:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Something like that, it's hard to have a hard and fast age. Some kids just mature physically faster than others. (Personally, I HATED when my mother made me start wearing bras at age 11, because I was "supposed to". I didn't even get breasts until I was 14!)

I don't see a big issue of allowing her to do it (or teaching her how to do it without cutting herself). You can always tell her that you have rethought your decision about waiting till she is 13, and if she really wants to take on the responsibility of it, she can start now. If it's something she has to do all the time, she may get tired of it and give up till she's older.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• If you had a son growing facial hair at 10 would you tell him he couldn't shave until 13? Why place an arbitrary age on something other than for your own benefit of still seeing her as your "little girl".
    If she is hairy and it is noticeable enough for you to see the hairy chances are classmates will to and pick on her. If you are afraid of her cutting herself go for a bladeless hair remover like veet, or even better take a page out of centuries of father son traditions and make it a big thing and teach her the best way to shave. Once you have given her the proper tools you can let her decide for her self if hair removal is something she wants to do regularly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My daughter is 11 and started when she as 10, but her hair was dark and it bugged her. No one said anything, we tried the hair removal creams but they didnt work so great on her. I ended up shaving her legs for her...I bought her a Venus razor it works well. She has yet to knick or cut herself. I sit on the bathroom floor while she does it so I can help if she needs it. So far so good here.
    summerm

Answer by summerm at 3:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My DD want to shave hers LOL but she is only almost 9 so I told her to wait a little bit more. But if your DD is already doing it let her 10 is a good age to start but teach her the proper way to prevent accidents or skin infections I suggest you to talk more often with her is not good that she is doing thing behind your back give her the oportunity to talk with you about how does she feel or is thinking.
    nily

Answer by nily at 9:40 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• my mom gave me the rule when it turn black than shave it..i was like 11 ish she just watched me a few tiem to make sure i had a hand in it...if u go with the shaving cream get a gel not the cream and use a razor that has mutiple balde i use mens shaving gel its more senitive to skin and a venus razor i have nerver cut or nicked myself with this razor
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 1:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2009