Finally switching doctors (again), but what happens if...

After realizing I am completely uncomfortable with my THIRD doctor's way of looking at labor & delivery, I am finally switching (again dammit). I seem to have the worst luck when it comes to doctors! Anyways, with this switch I am also changing clinics so that I can have a doctor that delivers at the hospital I prefer (my current works through the county hospital, which isn't HORRIBLE, but isn't really where I want to deliver). So, I was wondering...what happens if during the switch I need to go to the hospital? I am not registered at either hospital yet (not county since I'm switching, & not the new one because I don't technically have a doctor with them yet), so I'm not sure exactly where I would go. Also, who would I ask for? Would I call the new hospital & get an on-call? Would I call the county hospital & use my by-then former doctor? They said paper transfer would take 7-10 days...so during those days what do I do?

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 4:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If something comes up and you need to go to the hospital go to the one you feel most comfortable with. When they ask about doctors tell them what's going on, that you are in between right now so you really have no doctor, give them your former doctors name so that they can contact them if necessary. The hospitals can't refuse you just because you don't have a doctor.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 5:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• They can transfer paperwork the minute you need it. Your new doctor would tell them to fax it. See what doctors go to the hospital you want to go to and get started. Once the appt is made the new doctor will tell you what's up.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• That's the problem, with my insurance I'm going through the clinic, not the actual doctor. The clinic needs the records before I'm given a doctor, but it will take 7-10 days for the transfer. Once I request the transfer from my current clinic to my new one, I am no longer a patient at my current clinic. Thus, leaving me with no doctor for 7-10 days. I've already looked around & asked what feels like a million times, but it comes down to either staying with my current doctor which I don't feel comfortable doing, or being without a doctor for about a week. I just want to know what I'm suppose to do in that weeks time in case I go into labor or something happens.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 5:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Like Jessie said, a hospital cant refuse a laboring woman care for any reason. Just go to the new hospital if anything happens and explain. Besides, most of the time YOUR dr only delivers if s/he happens to be on call when you go in...
    Goldie_And_Luke

Answer by Goldie_And_Luke at 7:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2009