When is it old enough to do these things?

Shave legs? Pluck eyebrows? Wear make-up? Talk on the phone? have a cell? go out with friends unattended?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• really I dont think there is a "set" age for these things.
    Shaving legs should be when your daughter is feeling uncomfortable with the hair she has. Same with eyebrows if there is a unibrow thing.
    Wear make up...a little in maybe 8th or 9th grade
    talk on the phone? my kids have always talked on the phone
    Cells depends on reason why they need one, who is paying for it, level of maturity
    go out with friends unattened? to where how long same sex friends..

This was just sort of our general thinking
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• shave, pluck eyebrows maybe about 12 a little makeup maybe 12-14 talk on the phone at 8 or 9 is okay with me, cell, never lol unattended? 16..... 9 is a little young for alot of these things
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• my 12 year old started shaving her legs a year ago, she does not pluck her eyebrows. She wears makeup, but nothing garish, she talks on the phone with her friends and relatives but not too long, and with permission. She has a cell phone to use in emergencies...most of the time she is really good about not just using it to chat w/ friends. Going out with friends unattended, I have not let her do yet, b/c I just don't trust other people yet. It depends on what you feel like letting her do and what her maturity level seems to indicate. Shaving legs, is a vanity thing, it's very rarely a health issue. Girls with darker hair on their legs will be more likely to ask to shave before girls w/ lighter hair. Plucking eyebrows is another thing that depends on the family...what issues do you have with vanity? Does she have thick unruly eyebrows? Do you pluck your eyebrows? Wearing makeup, is something very few need at this age.
    TeenerBeener75

Answer by TeenerBeener75 at 4:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I would say s your daughter starts asking to do them let her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Hmmm.. I don't have a daughter, so I don't really have to touch of some of these... but I can tell you what rules my mom used with me.

Shave legs? 13

Pluck eyebrows? (no rule - I didn't start doing this on my own until I was about 15.)

Wear make-up? 13 - light lipgloss/nail polish, 14 - light eyeshadow, 15 - adding mascara and blush, 16 - full face. Special occasions were an exception.

Talk on the phone? 12-13, as long as I didn't tie it up all the time.

have a cell? wasn't an issue for us growing up. My son is 11. I offered him a pre-paid cell for emergencies. He said no he's not ready & he thinks he and his classmates are too young for them.

go out with friends unattended? I think I was 13 or 14 (I didn't get into trouble as a kid, so YMMV.)
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Depends on the age, and the matuity level.

Talk on the phone, when they become very social around age 8-9

Have a cell phone, when they are driving, going out, or can pay for it themselves

Shave their legs, depends is the hair long, dark and very visible, or bothersome to the child

Pluck, when they are teens at least 16 or older, dont want them walking around with just one or look angry LOL

Make-up, teenage around 15-17, but not alot, teens dont need alot

Go out unattended, group things like movies etc, not alone with one person, 12 or older with parents dropping them off and picking them up, but like I said, group thing..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I agree with the first mom. My dd started shaving at 11, kids were making fun of her because she had dark hair on her legs, and being part Italian, well she is hairy lol.
    Talking on house phone, she got 10 minutes a day starting in 1st grade, but it was with either her cousin or her friend.
    Cell phone she got early, due to family reasons, but she didn't get one of her own until 13 and there is still strict rules with it.
    pluck eyebrows, she has beautiful eyebrows, I don't let her touch them, but I will pluck the few strays for her.
    Make up, she started wearing eyeliner and lip gloss last year and now she can wear all of it, but with in a tasteful range. *very little* at home she does the raccoon eyes, but not allowed to go out like that.
    going off with friends, started over summer, but only to one place like the skating ring, and she can not leave with any friends. (I know the owner, and he secretly keeps an eye on her)
    JustPlainOlMOM

Answer by JustPlainOlMOM at 5:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• whats a ymmv.? if you don't mind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I think it's different for different girls. But in general, my opinion:
    Shave legs? Depends on how dark and thick the hairs are. I think me and my friends were in 3rd or 4th grade.
    Pluck eyebrows? If they're unruly or really thick, it could be around 10 or 11. I don't think i started plucking mine until I was in late high school...but mine were mostly normal.
    Wear make-up? ARound 12, and only neutral eye shadow, minimal eyeliner, minimal mascara, lip gloss (no lipstick), some foundation. Natural is key.
    Talk on the phone? Depends on what for. To chat? Maybe about 10 or 11 (what do they really have to chat about really). Just to ask quesitons, 8 or 9
    have a cell? Depends on the situation
    go out with friends unattended? Depends on where they're going. To the pool where there are other adults supervising, maybe 11. If there is minimal adult interaction there (like bowling) then maybe 14 or 15
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• All of those depend on more than age. It depends on the maturity level of the girl and the family situation. As for shaving legs: when the girl feels selfconcious about the hair (I was 12 but had thick, dark hair--gotta love being Italian). Cell phone: my son had one at 11 because we have no landline and he walks to and from school. Talk on the phone: I never had an age that he could talk on the phone. With friends unattended: middle school. Wear makeup:16, maybe 10th grade, Pluck eyebrows; IDK, I am 38 and have never plucked my eyebrows, I guess when they are thick and bushy.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2009