Do any of you moms out there do things that are considered old fashioned, like...

Can food, knit, sew or even make soap?

Reason why I ask is cuz I do! Well, I haven't learned yet how to knit I do can food, sew, make my own laundry soap. I also pass these things down to my girls so that they know how to do all sorts of things as well. It's relaxing, calming and I feel like I'm being resourceful.

Ladybugkisses76

Asked by Ladybugkisses76 at 4:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I cook every meal from scratch and can produce I grow in my garden. I have a huge garden and have so many pickle cucumbers I am not sure I can get them all canned. I have so many peppers, onions, potatoes, squash, okra, chilies and cucumbers I have set up a table in front of my house and my kids are selling them to the neighbors a couple other neighbors have joined me with their goods and we have our own little farmers market. We don't have to get a license to do this in my town. I do make my own soap, laundry soap, shampoo, conditioner and all my cleaning supplies. I am a SAHM to 6 kids all are in school so I need to fill my time somehow.lol I have the younger SAHM's over and show them how to cook and make their own cleaning products. I am fairly old fashioned and very frugal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Well, I don't know how old fashioned it is,but I cook alot of stuff from scratch. Mostly sweets,and alot of casseroles. And, I love making home made rolls,and corn bread. So much better than the store brands. Kudos to you for still doing that. Great lessons to teach your kids,as well!
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 4:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I sew by hand and I bake without using an electric mixer. I know how to can food but I haven't done that in years.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 4:53 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I occasionally sew, but very rarely these days. My mom was a marvelous seamstress and my efforts always looked so poor in comparison to hers!

Answer by gdiamante at 4:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• i would like to know how to make laundry soap if you are willing to share
    kristyleigh614

Answer by kristyleigh614 at 4:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I sew, crochet,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I didn't use a microwave for years!
    I cook from scratch a lot too!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• See, I had a hard time learning to sew, because my Home Ec teacher in school wasn't very patient,and I'm left handed,and she didn't want to take the time to show me. My aunt,who was also left handed taught me to embroidery,and I still enjoy it once in awhile. My mom is great at embroidery.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 4:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I love to knit it's so relaxing. I made so many things for my daughter when I was pregnant.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 4:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I sew. Make mostly 'around the house' clothes for myself.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2009