when are you supposed to be able to hear your babies heartbeat?

im only 6 weeks pregnant and had to go to the emergency room because i was spotting.they did an ultrasound and said since i was so early on in my pregnancy that all they would be able to see is the sac the baby is in.they told me to follow up with my doc for info on the tests i took.i spoke to my docs assistant today and she said even at 6 weeks they should have heard the heartbeat but i've heard that you can't hear the heartbeat until you are 8 weeks or further.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well I heard my first son's at 5wks and 5days. Everything will be okay.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 5:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I heard my son's at 10 weeks.
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 5:46 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• 10 weeks for me but they didn't even try it b4 that.
    AshleyG.

Answer by AshleyG. at 5:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• they couldn't find my babys heart beat..and then the doctor found TWO!!!! it was crazy
    but that was at 14weeks
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 5:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• They told me that they would not be able to hear my babies heartbeat that early as well. I heard my sons heartbeat at 13 weeks. It all depends on the equipment your doctors have. Now they should be able to see the babies heartbeat that early. They showed me my sons heartbeat at 8 weeks.
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 6:08 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I was about 9 weeks and they heard it on a ultrasound but when I was 10 weeks I was at a regular appt and they still couldn't hear it with that monitor thingy. I did finally hear it at 12 weeks. Everyone is different. Yeah I had alot of doctor appt in the beginning. Not really sure why though lol.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 6:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I am 8 weeks 4 days and I was at the doctors today and they said it was to early to hear the heart beat. Said I should be able to hear around 10-13 weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• sometimes it depends on how heavy you are or how the placenta is positions. i was heavy and my placenta was anterior(to the front) so i didnt get to hear it til like 13 weeks
    treystiredmommy

Answer by treystiredmommy at 9:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My doc only gets worried when she can't hear it by the 14th week. I had the doc check for it just last week (10 wks) and she couldn't hear it. I had a quick ultrasound done and everything was fine. The only reason why she had one done is because I didn't want to wait until the next appt. =) I think my placenta is anterior so that is just that much more tissue the doppler has to try to get through.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 10:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I am 8 wks 4d and I heard mine at 6wk 1d
    kolbiesmommy

Answer by kolbiesmommy at 11:07 PM on Sep. 9, 2009