Has anyone's child had a frenectomy?

My six year old was diagnosed as being tongue tied in the Spring. This means that the muscle under his tongue is too long or some people's could be too short. Anyway, he cannot say the "th" sound because his tongue cannot touch the roof of his mouth. The muscle also pulls on the gums and causes gum recession if not corrected.The frenectomy requires that my kid get general anesthesia and that scares me to death.
He already has so much on his plate with first grade starting and a new baby sister on the way. I just am scared of the worst. Should I wait until he is older to have this done? I was told some people go through life with this problem it is not life or death.

vamom21

Asked by vamom21 at 5:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i think it could be the best thing for your child to have it done. if you do not have it done than you are holding your child back. Not that you have to do it now, but you do not want to be the reason your child dose not progress the rite way do you? i do believe the earlier the better.
    kristyleigh614

Answer by kristyleigh614 at 5:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I agree w/ Kristy. I would not put this off. The sooner the better. If you aren't convinced it really needs to be done, then get a second opinion before you go through with it. My niece had this done and it wasn't as bad as my sister expected. Having a hard time saying things can be cute at 6, but if he's still doing it when he's 12 he'll probably be embarrassed and get teased about it. I think I'd want to get it over with and move on if it were my child. GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• If you're uncertain about it you can get a second opinion. I, myself am severely tongue tied and had problems saying certain letters/words when I was younger but as I got older it seemed to 'correct' itself. There are still some times I find myself trying to get the right word but not being able to but it's only when I try talking really fast and it doesn't happen THAT often. My son is tongue tied as well and I don't plan on having his tongue clipped unless it becomes a severe problem. But it's up to you to decide how important it is that you're child have it done. Get two, three or even four different opinions so that you know for a fact you'd be making the right decision.

Good luck
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 5:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I am a "toungue-tied" adult. My parents did not have a frenectomy surgery for me. The Dr's told my parents I would never be able to speak-but I can. They said that on the off chance I did develope some language it would be severely impaired, but it's not. I have no difficulties with my speech, except once I started talking, I began doing so at ninety miles a minute and never quit!!

I have a 2 yr old son who is toungue tied. He is recieveing speech therapy. There are oral motor excercises that the thearapist does with him to help him increase his ability to speak. He has a very hard time with s's--they come out like th's--and th's come out like d's. I would suggest seeing a qualified speech thearpist and your child's pediatrician. Also do not be afraid to have a second opinion!! those work wonders!! If there is a way to correct it with therapy why choose surgery?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I accidently hit the anonymos button...Sorry!! I am the "toungue tied" woman with a "toungue tied" two year old....
    ElizaDaniels

Answer by ElizaDaniels at 7:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I aree with the first few posts. If it is going to allow your child a better chance of speech, more clear speech, less speech therapy, less being picked on, and etc. why not give them a best foot forward. I agree with getting 2nd opinions, but my son has hernia surgery at 10 months and I was worried about it too, but children bounce back from things like that VERY fast. Mine was playing by the end of the day. So, i understand being careful but don't just be scared and run away, get informed and preparred.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Sep. 10, 2009