Breastfeeding Pain.. help!

I had my son on Sat. morning and am b/fing him, and my milk i guess came in today. And since his last feeding my left breast is rock hard (the right not far behind) and hot as hell. It hurts to even think about feeding him. Anything I can do to help the pain? I know my nipples have to toughen up, but I could honestly cry.

ExenoRainbow

Asked by ExenoRainbow at 5:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are definitely engorged. Pumping will relieve the rock hardness as well as nursing. To prevent cracked nipples, which hurt far worse than being engorged, LaLeche (I believe) recommended that I lay, chest up naked, in the sun. The sun naturally toughened and healed my nipples.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 3:53 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Is there a lactation consultant that you can contact from the hospital? Or try Le Leche League. If it feels hot/burns/red in color, it could be mastasis.... talk to your OB!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 5:53 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• You need to express some out of there. If they are rock hard, he could have problems latching on which will cause sore or even cracked nipples...are you nursing off of both? If not, whichever one he doesn't nurse off of, you need to pump it off until little to nothing comes out. do NOT only pump off until it quits hurting as it can cause other issues like blocked milk ducts.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:53 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• All of the above also it is safe to take tylenol while breastfeeding to take the edge off the pain!
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 5:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Pump until your boobs feel better. Then nurse him. You are engorged. You need to get rid of a little milk. Pumping will definitely help.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:50 PM on Sep. 10, 2009