My baby is almost 3 weeks and I fell down with him in his car seat !!!! Is he ok?

I feel like a horrible mom! I was outside of the Vet's office ( picking up our dog that was just spayed) And ther was a 2 in step up from the parking lot and my sandal caught it and I fell.. i was holding my arm straight down so he didn't drop far he just hit the ground and i dunno if it whip lashed him or not... He cried until I got him out of the seat and held him and then he seemed to be fine.. I pray I only scared him and didn't hurt him.. Should I take him to the ER?

emturner

Asked by emturner at 5:53 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think he's just fine, you porbably just scared him. He would be at a greater risk sitting in a germ filled ER for 4 hours waiting for them to tell you he's just fine.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I would, especially because of his age. If anything, call your doctor's office/nurse line. Better safe than sorry!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 5:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• yes go and get him checked out
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 5:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• He should be ok but call his doctor and see what to watch out for

Answer by admckenzie at 5:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• If he projectile vomits, its a sign of concussion. keep him awake for an hour then let him sleep for 30 minutes and wake him up again. the seat took the most of the force so he should be ok. You can always call the doc to ease your mind.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I would take him in just to check.
    Sometimes realyl serious head injuries do not appear that serious at first.

I agree with better safe than sorry.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 6:05 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• If he was restrained in his carseat he's fine.. Wouldn't you cry too if you were suddenly jarred and didn't know what was going on?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My husband had an occurrence like this yesterday.. I was out at a job interview and he was holding our dd, who is almost 3 weeks old, and he slipped in the kitchen and fell straight on his back. She started screaming. She wasn't jostled around to much and she didn't throw up, run a fever.. was eatting fine. If you know the signs to look for as far as head trauma, then there isn't much need to take to the hospital. I'd say your little one is probably just fine, but like the other posters said, if you feel you need to take him to the ER or something like that, do so.. even if it is just to calm your own fears (we did this more then once with my first daughter)
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 6:26 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I definitely would go. I hope everything is OK.

I was always afraid of that very thing happening, so I refused to get that kind of car seat.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2009