Are you a hoarder? (I am going to have to just do it and forget about it) Help!

I look around my home and it is really not that bad but that is bc I am used to seeing it like that. If company comes over I would clear stuff up and whatever I cleared up gets forgotten. I guess I don't want to bring it our again bc I like the cleanlyness look for the moment until slowly the crap sneaks up again.

My house looks junky (sometimes..I guess most of the time) but like the bedrooms omg for get it. I know stuff needs to be in there spots but where do I begin?
Thank you ladies

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Empty your entire house out and separate it into a keep pile and the "other" pile. If its not in the keep pile, donate it. But be realistic. If you really don't need it, you need to put it in the "other" pile.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I divided my room into corners. Take a picture of each corner or area (for incentive) and just clear one corner or area at a time. If something belongs in the corner or area then put it there but everything else has to be put away where it belongs. Take an "after" picture for praise for yourself. When you're done with one area then move to another one. Be realistic: the house didn't get that way overnight and it's not going to get decluttered and clean in one day.

Put things away as you use them, don't just leave them lay or put them in a corner "until you get to it." It doesn't take near as long to put stuff away NOW as it will later.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:11 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• lol, I thought I was the only one that divided rooms into corners! It's a great idea that works for me too.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• if you are truly a "hoarder", it's not about the stuff. if you are hoarding you need some counseling, not tips on organizing, get some help with what is causing you to hoard to begin with.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:25 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• take a cue from those organizing shows on TLC. do ONE room at a time. put everything into 3 piles- keep, toss, and sell. ideally, your "keep" pile should be the smallest. i would get a small storage unit (NOT a P.O.D.- that would just invite you to put stuff in there and keep you from getting all this done. if you have to drive to the storage unit it might help you realize that you need to keep this under control, and small units are inexpensive) anyway, store the "sell" items in the storage unit until you get through the whole house, and then have a big yard sale afterward. anything that doesn't sell, donate to Goodwill. hopefully, you can get everything done quickly and only have the storage unit for a month or two, depending on how many rooms you have to get through.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 8:52 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• like someone else said if you are truly a horder then you need more help. If you are just in the depths of clutter than you can start with one room at a time. pick the easiest room in our case our dinning room and clear it out and start the donate/sell pile in there also have an area for things to throw away. then move on to say the bathrooms remove anything that isnt necessary or that is in excess decide if you need to toss or sell the excess items if you find somthing that belongs in another room take it to that room but dont put it away yet. continue til you have the room finished.

when you move on to a second room you will find things that belong in rooms that you have previously cleaned and orgainzed if the room is done then go ahead and put the items away that go in that room. when you are working on larger rooms I tend to have baskets or boxes for other areas of the house. Build a schedule of rooms and stick to i
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 12:36 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Start in one room, probably not the worst one in the house. Start in one corner, and pick something up, for example, a toy. Think about when the last time your child played with that toy, has it been more than 6 months? If it has, donate it or throw it away. Keep doing this with everthing in the room, touch each item only once. Don't make smaller piles out of bigger ones, put things away as you go. It isn't easy or fun, but soon you will have a home that is much easier to maintain and you'll be able to enjoy the cleaniness all the time.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 1:46 PM on Sep. 10, 2009