will a breastfed bany refuse to nurse if she's not hungry?

Sometimes I think I am to quick to assume she's hungry when she fusses. If she wasn't hungry would she still nurse?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 6:05 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies often nurse for comfort as well. But, if they aren't hungry, they can nurse, and not really extract much milk. You can't over feed a breastfed baby.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:06 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• "You can't over feed a breastfed baby"

or a formula fed baby...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• um yes you can over feed a formula baby. by making them finish a bottle when they are already done..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• You can't force a baby to drink a bottle unless you're a total crazy person and shove the bottle into their mouth when they're trying to pull away.

Babies stop when they are full.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• You can over bottle fed a baby, they get to much to fast. A baby has a need to suck and if the continue to suck on a bottle it won't back off like a breast will and the baby will get to much milk and be overfed. Then they spit up or they stomach expands and they get continuely overfed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

or a formula fed baby...

I can't speak for formula fed babies. I don't know much about formula or formula fed babies.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• "You can over bottle fed a baby, they get to much to fast."

No you cannot over feed a formula fed baby anymore than you can overfeed a breastfed baby. A baby is only going to drink as much as they can handle and then spit the rest out. Unless you're a dumbass and force a bottle in the child's mouth even though they spit the formula out then no, the baby isn't going to overfeed. But the same can be done with a breastfed baby. So there is no argument there, if you can't overfeed one you can't overfeed the other.

Every baby I have been around has quit sucking on a bottle when they were full and no they don't get too much too fast (they make different flow nipples for this exact reason).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• "Then they spit up or they stomach expands and they get continuely overfed. "

A babies stomach doesn't just magically "expand" so that they can continue to eat. Obviously you don't know much about babies or feedings. A formula fed baby isn't going to overeat any easier than a breastfed baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• You should start to see a pattern of hunger and other fussiness. If you think you're offering the breast too much try other ways to soothe baby first. I usually wait for her to "root" for me, that way she's communicating that she wants to nurse. If she wants a paci she opens her mouth but doesn't turn her head to the side. If I try to nurse and she only wants paci she refuses. If I give her paci and she wants to nurse, or try anything else and she wants to nurse she cries and roots. She's almost 2 weeks old, I did the same things with her sister and it worked for us.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 9:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• First of all, YES you can overfeed a formula fed baby. When babies take a bottle, they are actually trying to stop the flow of milk because it is coming out too quickly...so by the time the pull off the bottle (if they haven't finished it already) they can already be full. And I'm not making this up I learned it in my childbirth class.

To answer your question OP, babies will nurse for comfort as well and will sometimes do a "pacifier" suck where they aren't getting aren't getting any milk.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2009