Do vegetarians ever get sick?

I mean what exactly do they eat and drink besides the obvious?

Please be specific....thank you.

I am seriously thinking about becoming one....lol

With all the junk that is going around it no wonder why we are always sick and out of shape.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Food & Drink

• my parents are vegetarians and they r very healthy,.. i couldnt do but they let us make our choice,.. thet drink anything lol but lots of water, and eat seafood n pasta's and soy products, tons of veggies, idk nothing odd lol just no walking animal
    diamondgrl

Answer by diamondgrl at 8:08 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I thought vegetarians didn't eat meat? Doesn't seafood qualify as meat?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• To diamondgrl: your parents are pesacatarians.

To the OP: unfortunately, vegetarians do get sick; the good news is we tend to get sick less often and for shorter durantions than meat eaters. For example, in May, my daughter had H1N1; she had a fever for 3.5 days (highest was 102.05), a few more of cough and congestion, one really gross bloody nose; neither my husband nor I caught this supposedly highly contagious virus.

There are vegetarians who live on cookies and potato chips, and meat eaters who eat incredibly healthy diets. That said, meat and dairy (along with sugar, white flour and other highly processed foods) do weaken the immune system. Fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes all strengthen the immune system.

There are great groups for vegetarians on CafeMom and YahooGroups. The internet is loaded with great information on nutrition and health.

Send me a message offlist if you have any questions!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I have a friend who is vegetarian and she is sick ALL THE TIME. She eats very unhealthy as she is very picky.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• yes my daughter is a vegetarian and she gets sick. Has the flu right now.

my daughter eats whatever is cooked in the house with out the meat. I make her an extra bowl of what were having. She loves salads, fish, cheese, whole grains, fruit. But also cookies, candy, cake and such. Which is limited to all in the house. Anyways she eats evry thing except meat.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:28 AM on Sep. 10, 2009