Diaper rash

My dd who is not quite 3 weeks old has a horrible diaper rash, to the point where when last time I changed her diaper she had a couple little spots that were bleeding. Its obviously hurting her because she did nothing but scream when I was putting some a&d cream on her butt. Nothing seems to be helping it heal, I've tried a few different brands.

My question is, I still have some of a prescription from when my other daughter had a bad diaper rash, would it be ok to use on the younger daughter, or should I call her doctor?

Skye-Angel

Asked by Skye-Angel at 6:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't put cream on open sores!
    And never use medication on someone that it wasn't prescribed for. Call your doctor and in the mean time run her off under cold water every time you change her diaper and let her air dry then put on baby powder and a clean diaper. And change her promptly.
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 6:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• i would call first cuz maybe it has an age difference . But I swear by Triple Paste. My pedi recomemded it and it's OTC.
    AshleyG.

Answer by AshleyG. at 6:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I'd call the doctor first before putting a prescription strength cream on her. Better to be safe than sorry. It would be horrible for her to have a reaction to the cream as well as having the painful diaper rash.

A phone call will only take a few minutes.
    I hope she gets better soon.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• you might want to be careful bc i was allergic to zinc and so was my mom. zinc is a main ingredient in most diaper rash creams. so thats another thing to ask about.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 7:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Leave her diaper off, and use some bactracin (Neosporin). The presciption I'm guessing, is Nystatin for yeast rashes? That will probably work. I wouldn't continue the A&D it is a bit harsh, stick to a creamy (white) creamy like Desitin or Balmex, you can alternate with the bacitracin. But air is the best medication. Keep her clean and dry as often as possible, and don't use wipes use water and a soft cloth. (You don't need to use wipes at home, just water and a soft cloth whenever possible)
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 7:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2009