Is the leapster hand held game device a good gift for a little boy turning 3?

He is always playing with his older brothers DS, but I just think he is too young for a DS!

KylonsMom

Asked by KylonsMom at 6:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is 4, and he has a DS The Leapster he did not like at all, most of the kids at the daycare he goes to had DS, and he always would be playing with it. They have easy age games for his age.
    hazeleyezmommy

Answer by hazeleyezmommy at 6:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I like the leapster. It was great when he was 5 and wasn't ready for a ds but still needed to play video games. He did learn as well so that is the plus as compared to a ds.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 7:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• i have a 4 yr old and got a learning laptop, -- wall-e--- the one he wanted... and most of those games are way to advanced for the typical 4 yr old...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I don't know about the hand held game but I recommend the leap frog Tag system. My daughter got this for Christmas - she was 3 as well and she loves the books and the games that are in the books. A good way to get them reading at a early age.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 9:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• we love the handheld leapster. my 4 and a half year old and 2 and a half year old each use one. my older one has a ds as well but still loves his leapster, it's much more durable too as im sure you know the ds costs so much more and breaks easier. the leapster has a ton of fun games also! :)
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 12:58 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My 3 year old has been playing my DS for 9 months now. He just turned 3 in July. He loves it and has many games geared to his age range and skill set. Dora and Diego and the Smart Boys series. He is getting his own for Christmas so that I can have mine back.
    EtiesMommy

Answer by EtiesMommy at 6:47 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Oh and he knows that he has to sit and play it. No walking/running around with it. He is very careful and always turns it off when he is done and puts it up on the bookcase so nothing gets spilled on it.
    EtiesMommy

Answer by EtiesMommy at 6:49 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• 30 years ago when buying toys for my children I made a decision. The toy had to do nothing but be itself. When played with they would have to use their imagination.
    These leapsters, hand held game boys, etc. do the thinking for the child. They also I can see will cause carpal tunnel problems in their hands and fingers.
    Let children have a childhood full of imagination and fun. Let their brains grow from using them instead of buying things that let their brains think for them.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 7:39 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My son got a leapster for his 3rd bday... Then for his 4th christmas we got him a V SMILE and 3 games....he LOVES it:)
    oddballj

Answer by oddballj at 8:23 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• At 3, ours had a My First Leap Pad. We didn't get him the leapster until he was 5. Most of the leapster games would be a bit much for a 3 year old. The leap pad is the one that uses books and a large pen (attached) so they don't need the fine motor skills.

As for PP who doesn't like educational toys, sorry to hear it. There is more than one way to play.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:24 AM on Sep. 10, 2009