Why do you think many people on PA have lots of kids?

I'm not trying to be rude. I'm just curious as to what the opinions of other moms on this subject are.

I was reading a news paper article yesterday in my local newspaper about PA. It said that the average family on PA in my area have 4 + children. It said in some areas of the US the average is as high as 6.

I thought this was interesting.

***Again I'm not trying to be rude...I know some people will take offense anyway but that's not my intention.****

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• What is PA week ????????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• What is it PA week ???
    Anonymous

• they HAVE to.... for income limit purposes. sometimes having 1 more child can be the difference between food shelfs and free clinic VS $700 a month food stamps and free medical for everyone in the home
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Because we are paying for them to. why stop having kids if you don't have to work to support them? It also means more money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• What else do they have to do! lol
    Seriously? I would say many are less educated
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I think SOME of them do it on purpose because they are JUST squeaking by on their own and don't qualify for any assistance unless they are in the lowest income brackets. If more people were able to get a little help when they are a little down on their luck and were able to actually get ahead a little instead of being rewarded for having more kids they can't afford on their own, maybe there wouldn't be so many people in that position. But sometimes it's like, "We are really struggling right now, but look, if we had one more kid we'd get free medical, food stamps etc. Why NOT?"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Lack of consequences, lack of personal responsibility, sense of entitlement...

If you have children, the natural consequence should be you have to work harder or give up some things to provide for them. If the government picks up the extra tab, then there is a lack of consequence.

If you have a sense of personal responsibilty, then the last thing you would ever do if you couldn't pay for your family's needs would be to have another child.

If you feel entilted to have as many children as you want whether you can afford them or not, then something is wrong.

I am only addressing the specific circumstances in the question. I do not believe this is true for ALL people on PA, but it does seem to be true for at least a few that continue to have more children when they obviously can't afford the ones they already have. If we all did this, who would pay for it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• PA week nothin...this is Obama speech week....
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I agree with ANON above me. It all boils down to lack of personal responsibility. There is not real consequence to have more and some people take advantage of that.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 7:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I think it is a lack of education, and probably depression that is causing these women to shirk their responsibilities of birth control, seek sexual attention for love, and want to feel needed. Right now it almost seems as though it's the "in" thing to do for teens, they get a lot of attention, negative or otherwise. I don't think it's something they think, "Hey I'm going to get pregnant a bunch of times so I get more money from the government." It's also not going to help them get rich ever, or give them and abundance of money for having more kids.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 7:13 PM on Sep. 9, 2009