Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WTF are we supposed to do now??

My DH has a drinking problem, he's mexican (not stereotyping, but they are drinkers) He is actually on probation for it & has random alcohol screening. But, you think that would be enough to stop him from drinking, no! We ahve a 2 year old, 2 month old & I am currently pregnant. I am a SAHM and go to school. He is our only source of income. He drinks on the job, always has had a beer or two at lunch, all the guys at work do, even though it is against the policy rules. He has worked there for 8 years, no problems. Well, today he got fired because of it, he has gotten fired once before from this job, not from drinking, something else, so there's no way in hell they will take him back. We have SO many bills, we make it because he has a good paying job, but, what are we supposed to do know? I would have to find a minimum wage job, & we will never make ends meet with that. I don't know what to do, he can't get another job except

Answer Question

Asked by Ari0825 at 7:11 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (23)
  • where he is now, long whole different other story. So, basically were screwed. He is off drinking and totally plastered with some friends, I called him to tell him that he needed to come home. He said he has too much to think about and figure out things, he should be at home discussing this with his wife and trying to figure out how we are going to survivve as a family. We were wroking on things, and things were finally getting better, & then this happens, he a very violent drunk, so I don't even want to go there, but am I wrong to be upset? How are we giong to even survive through this? It's next to impossible to get a job these days.. i'm lost. I had to use my last 10 dollars to buy diapers for my daughter, because he just used all our savings to buy a brand new truck.. :[[

    Answer by Ari0825 at 7:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

  • So lets get this right... get got fired for being a drunk and now has no income coming in so hes out drinking and spending more money on alcohol to make himself feel better? I'd say leave him. You're going to live a miserable life supporting him and his habits. Thats no role model for three young children either. File for govt assistance and get back on your feet. Get a job and get away from him. If you have family to stay with or a friend to take you in then do so.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

  • You need to call a family member, a shelter or a friend, anybody that will lend a helping hand to you and to your children. next thing you need to dump his stupid ass because he is a bad example for your children and he is dragging you down. A single mom can qualify for some PA but not if you have an adult alcoholic jeopardizing your safety and that of your children. Sorry if I am harsh but you need to put your children interest first and this dude sounds like a total looser. Your job is to look up for your children first, you said yourself he is a violent alcoholic so what are you waiting for? For him to harm you, then who will take of your children?

    Answer by bebita at 7:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

  • well don't make him come home while he's drunk!!!! duh!!

    let him party it out and when he comes home then y'all can talk

    get on the phone with welfare right now.

    Answer by staciandababy at 7:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

  • So, let me turn this question around? WTH are you going to do now? It is up to you to make it right by your children because he is useless and dangerous. So cowboy up and get out that situation, get some PA, get back on your feet and leave the looser behind, he is responsible for his own actions, your children depend on you to make the right decisions by them.

    Answer by bebita at 7:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

  • My husband is hispanic and has no drinking problem whatsoever. Nor does his siblings, parents and in laws. Very rarely do any of them drink. And when they do, it's always one or two.

    Answer by jilligan362 at 7:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

  • bebita, i totally understand you. your right. were married, and it will take a long time to get a divorce, i get medicaid, but i dont' qaulify for cash asst or other things, b/c he makes/mad too much money, so that isn't going to work, til i get divorced. I knwo what I have to do, but how am I going to do it.

    Answer by Ari0825 at 7:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

  • why are you still having kids with a drunk, you know this has been happening for the 8 years he was drinking on the job.
    You get a job and leave him.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

  • jilligan, I said I wasn't stereotyping, MOST of them are, not everyone.

    Answer by Ari0825 at 7:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

  • Get out now. this is a one way street and it doesn't end well! Violent drunk, off plastered with his mates... that guy is not going to man up any time soon. Get your children out somewhere safe, don't even think about trying to make this work, you need to focus on setting your childrens and your life straight.

    Answer by myheartx4 at 7:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships
Why do people?

Next question overall
the bus