How do you and your family function when out of the usual routine?

Whew! We have been out of the good old routine lately and I am soo tired! The whole family is bickering and fussing. We are having the entire inside of our house painted and walls repaired. Last night we had to go to a hotel. How do you handel things when they are unexpected and out of the routine?

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 7:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• we had a fight tonight because my husband needs me to drop him off tomorrow before school to meet his parents. I told him two weeks ago I couldn't do it not with school. I have a routine in the mornings and I don't like when it is messed with. I like structure.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 7:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I used to get very anxious and stressed out, but my boys picked up on my anxiety. that is when they started with the fussing and complaining. I now have 3 boys and going on baby #4 and i have learned not to sweat the small stuff. Especially the things that were out of my control. I just go with whatever comes our way the best i know how. I try to keep things fun for the kids and as close to routine as possible. Now that i stay more calm(it took practice) the kids are more relaxed too and things go much more smoothly.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 7:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I don't like routine it gets old and boring, since I'm a SAHM I do things my way, everyday is diferent and everone just deals with it.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Unfortunately I can only offer my sympathies. We are in the same boat, for different reasons. My husband is in the hospital and will be there for another week. My kids are older but two have special needs, similar to autism. Needless to say this has thrown things into an uproar. My limited advice is to keep as much "normal" as you can, do some fun stuff, and take care of you. In my case that meant finding someone to talk to when the stress and anxiety got too high.
    Good luck to you.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• teamquinn,I am sorry to hear about your dh.I think we pretty much got through this round of "being put out" but we are going to have the flooring redone,so hopefully I'll be a bit more prepared for the next round. Hope your dh gets better soon;)
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 11:25 AM on Sep. 11, 2009