I dont know what to do...(Homeschooling Topic)

Ok, So i live in long island ny and i want to homeschol my daughter so i called up a homeschool mom and she said you have to Join and call HSLDA so i called HSLDA and they want 150$$ to join! (and i am a single mother and i really cant afford it now!) and my question is do i really need HSLDA? they said if i dont join that the school district is going to call CPS and sue me and give me hell! My Question is do i need them? and are they lieing to me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• HSLDA is all about scare tactics. no you don't have to join it.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I don't know really anything about homeschooling in New York, I live in PA, but here is a website I found, hopefully it will help you.
    http://www.homeschoolinginnewyork.com/gettingstarted/legal/statelaws.aspx
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I don't know what HSLDA is. You need to go to the education website for your state and read about their homeschooling laws and resources. I homeschooled my children in Indiana and all I had to do was keep attendance. I registered with the state but that was voluntary. There should be a homeschooling coordinator for the state.

CPS can't do anything to you for homeschooling your children as long as they are supervised. Each state sets the age children can be left home alone. In Indiana it is 12. If you are leaving your children home alone and the oldest is under 12 (or whatever the age is in NY) then you are in trouble.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 7:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Hi! : ) I live in port jefferson ( Bad school!) lol,I am also a single mother too! I have a 15 yr old daughter and i was also told by those Rich people that i had to join HSLDA and let me tell you...They Are SCAMMERS!! They were forcing me and they LIED to me and telling me that if i dont join that they school district are going to sue me and Take me to cort so i told them i have NO money and they dident anser me so i kinda knew that they were lieing to me! So i did not join a group or HSLDA and I mailed the letter of intent to the school district and in 14 days they just mailed me saying that they got it and the regulations..I did not get sued...or did they call CPS on me...s0 i guess not giving them money was worth it! lol i also have a friend who had her child in the smithtown school disrtrict and she did not join HSLDA or a group and she was fine! Good Luck! : ))
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• imjen689 is a mother I know through the Babylon/Lindenhurst area La Leche League. She homeschools her children, and knows a lot about it. I'm sure she'd be willing to share any information she has.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I thought homeschooling was free,I contacted k12,they have all the information you need.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I am curious about how you will manage working and homeschooling.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• You don't have to join HSLDA. It's more of a legal insurance for home schoolers in case they get any nonsense from their school district about the legalities of homeschooling.

When we started homeschooling in 1989, it was virtually unheard of & everyone assumed it was not legal to do etc. We joined the HSLDA because of the uncertainties of everything. Now, homeschooling is widely popular and it is a well known fact that it is legal to home school. There are a few cases of harassment by some school districts, but it's just as I said, a bit of legal insurance.

Some states are more strict than others, so you should do your research & determine if you think it would be a wise investment for you or not. If you can't afford it, skip it and go on with your plans to home school.

Make sure you send your notification of intent to home school, and you will receive a letter of exemption from your District Superintendent.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 8:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• K12.com all the way! Good luck. Its free, they send you all the supplies, and computer with printer and a monthly check for your internet and ink expenses. We loved it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• OMG!! Im from the smithtown central school district and i have a 11 yr. old daughter..well,let me tell you they are THE WORST schools on long island! lol,The middle schools SUCK!! I would reccomend take your poor daughter OUT of the school and let her be homeschooled! And dont worry, the school district will NOT sue u or take u to cort! HSLDA is a BIG LIE! They told me the same thing and nothing happend to me! lol! So,Dont worry about it! Your daughter could do k12.com for school! Good Luck! : ) ((and My daughter was in special ed! and she is doing WONDERFULL!!) : )))
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Sep. 11, 2009