Oh no, a child at our preschool has the swine flu.....ugggg, its too early to worry about the flu!

I hope she gets over it quick and has a mild case.

We live in Alabama and I saw on tv today that the Southeastern part of the country is having a bigger outbreak right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I am nervous about the thought of my DD getting it...well, really both my kids. But my DD just had a swallow study done and they found out that she does aspirate so I will need to start thickening her liquids. She gets horribly sick when she gets any cold. I'm thinking that I'm going to get them vaccinated; although I don't know if it would really work? I hope your daughter and that sick lil' girl will be fine.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 7:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I hope she gets better and that nobody else gets it.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 7:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It's a good idea to avoid putting your young child in any group situation. Avoid group day care, pre-school, church nursery, ect. Little people's immune system can't handle it.

I know it's hard. I have 3 children with a rare genetic immune deficiency disease. They couldn't even go to school, church, the movies, or anywhere there was a group of people. We managed to do it. I also have the disease, for me it was adult onset when I was 32. My children had a 64% chance of living until they were 20 and they are now 21, 26, and 29. My grandson is about to turn 1 and he was just diagnosed with the same disease.

If a parent or family member can't care for a young child then care in your home is best. There is no long-term educational benefit for kids to go to pre-school. If you go to church keep your kids with you.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 7:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• gaillaz: NOT everyone can afford to stay home with their kids, also keeping kids away from others and not exposing them to germs causes them to get sick too. Kids that are healthy can handle being in group situations.

OP: Teach your child how to cover coughs and sneezes properly (into the shoulder or crock of elbow). There is not much else you can do. It is not too early for the flu to start, it has been talked about how Swine flu was going to spread once school started again. In my area there are 2 colleges that have been hit, one of those colleges already has 10 cases of Swine flu..the football team got hit. BTW, there are MANY benefits of preschool...especially socialization skills that are much more important than all the academics a child learns in preschool. I am a preschool teacher and I know first hand how much of a difference preschool makes for most children.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:11 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I agree tyfry! I mean if a child has a special need that requires you to stay at home, then that is what you should do. But if the child is otherwise healthy, they need to get out and explore the world and the people in it......germs and all.

Preschool DOES have many benefits! I wouldn't avoid going to preschool just b/c of a sickness. Cant live in a bubble.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I know what you mean!! I just got a notice this morning when dropping my son off that there have been 1 confirmed case and 2 possible cases in his class alone. It's scary. My son catches everything, lets hope this isn't one of them!

"There is no long-term educational benefit for kids to go to pre-school."

For alot of kids there are MANY benefits... It's preps kids for school in alot of ways.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:45 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• "I'm thinking that I'm going to get them vaccinated; although I don't know if it would really work?"

To be perfectly honest with you the risks that can come from the vaccination itself are far greater than those from catching the actual virus.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:46 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I know our area of South Carolina is getting the flu right now in large numbers. The clinic I pass going to work said 38 cases of flu this week was treated by them. I'm sick as is two of my kids. And I think preschool is very beneficial.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:51 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• KalebsMommee children with asthma, immune deficiencies and cystic fibrosis should discuss vaccine options with their pediatrician. The flu can be life threatening for these children.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 9:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2009