How long do your kids get for lunch?

Mine gets 20 minutes, and it's barely enough time for him to eat much at all. Last year I sent him lunches, and if I sent more than half a sandwich and a fruit, something came home with him. This year I'm letting him get school lunch once in a while, and even without anything to unwrap, he says a lot of times they throw it out because he doesn't have time to eat it all. He ends up coming home starving.
(It can't be all from goofing around, they aren't allowed to talk at lunch)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in

• Mine goes to lunch at 11:45 am and directly after eating they go outside until 12:15 pm... so that isn't giving much time for either...
    I also know that kids knowing that they can go outside directly afterwards tend to not eat much of their lunch... I think the outside should be taken out of this time frame... and mine is just as gulity of wanting to go out instead of eating...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I work in an elementary school and they talk and they fool around. He may be saying they are not allowed to talk but they do. As far as time they get a half-hour and that is usually more then enough time if they eat.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 7:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I have seen my kids in the lunch line (without them knowing i am there) to see how it owkrs. My son gets lunch from 1030-1050 he goes to lunch with three other classes and it takes about 10-12 minutes to get throught the line and get to the table he then has 5 minutes to eat and then the last three minutes are the teacher making everyone throw their plates away and get back in line. My daughters school is very similar, except they have more choices so each line is a bit shorter and it doesnt take as long to get through it. They come home hungry every day. And yes some kids talk and fool around but at our school the teacher makes them eat silently so they will actually eat (and yet they still dont get to eat enough) which i think is why this year they started snacks in the afternoon, but you only get those if you didnt get a orange or red stick. I dont think its enough time,
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 8:13 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Send hearty lunches that are quick to eat, like a thermos with lentil stew or pasta with beans, cheese, veggies and sauce.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My Pre-ker gets 45mins and my 6th grader gets 30mins but also gets a 15min snack break. she also brings her lunch so instead of wasting time in line waiting for food she can dive right in and have more of her 30mins for actual eating.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 9:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• 15 minutes!
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 9:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• In elementary school, he got about 20-30 minutes and it was enough if the kids weren't fooling around and talking to their friends. Now he is in middle school and he gets 30 minutes and they still fool around and talk, unless they get in trouble and the principal orders a quiet lunch. That is plenty of time to eat lunch. A lot of times, the kids just decide that they would rather talk to their friends and not eat.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I've always felt if adults get at least 30 mins for lunch in the work force then students should get that at least. I remember when I was in school I had to scarf my food to just get done. It's not fair to get 20 min for lunch and have to wait in line for 10-15 mins which only gives you 5 mins to eat. There should be a law.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• While I'm not for just whipping out new laws or anything...I'm appalled that students would only be given a 20 min lunch period and expected to spend half of it in line!

Aren't they the ones telling us to make sure the kids have a good breakfast because they need to "fuel the brain"...then let them eat their lunch...who the hell as an adult wants to scarf their food in 5 or 10 mins? I'd have a stomach ache if I ate that fast! And I know my kids wouldn't eat; even if they were sitting alone they eat slower than that. When I was in elem school I'm pretty sure it was 30 mins and then in middle and HS it was 40 min
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• 20 minutes and that included time waiting in lines to eat. Last year my son's class was the last one to the cafeteria and had 10 minutes. Not good.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2009