How can I wean my 1yr old and get him to sleep through the night?

My son is already one and I cant seem to wean him off of me. He has also never sleptthrough the night. I am very tired and wont him on a routine now. Can anyone help?

Johanna713

Asked by Johanna713 at 7:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OK. First, one has nothing to do with the other. Weaning doesn't mean he'll sleep all night. He'll do that when he's good and ready.

You wean by dropping one feeding per week till gone. Start with his least preferred...that's often a feeding between meals. Expect the bedtime feeding to be the last to go.

Dad can take over night wakings in order to drop those feedings. But like I said...don't expect the wakings to stop. Mine kept waking at night long after he night weaned.

Tired is a "perk" of motherhood. **wink**

Answer by gdiamante at 7:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• The reason he isn't weaning is that it is natural for human children to nurse 2-3 years or longer. The World Health Organization recommends all children be breastfed at least 2 years. To get the facial, jaw, teeth, and speech benefits of breastfeeding a child may need to breastfeed 3 years. Children continue to benefit from breastfeeding as long as they do so. Most children will wean themselves when they are around 3.

That is about the time you can count on your child sleeping through the night.

Don't worry, you are doing a great job if he is letting you know how much he wants to nurse and is waking at night. It's the kids that are passive and who sleep like a rock that are the ones to worry about.

For more info go to www.kelllymom.com

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• The PPs are 100% correct. Unless you have a medical reason to wean, your child (the important person here) will be best off with child-led weaning. Weaning before he is ready may lead to more sleep issues, not less.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• if you really want to wean, the best thing for you to do, and i'm not gonna lie and say it's easy, but you need to get a bottle, put breastmilk in it, and have someone, like dad, to feed the baby, with you NOT in the room. he will not eat from the bottle if he smells you. don't worry if it doesn't work right away. when he's hungry enough, he'll eat it. i used to babysit an efficiently breastfed baby at 6 months, and his mom went back to school, and gave me formula. so i had a breastfed baby a whole day. he refused the bottle of course, but when he got hungry enough, he ate it. if i tried to feed him whle mommy was there, he refused, even after he was used to the bottle. it took a while, but it finally got to the point she could feed him from the bottle (she still breastfed at night though) brb for the answer to the sleep problem
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• ok,.i've done this with both my kids, and they've been sleeping all through the night since 6 months. they are now 1 and 2, and theysleep for 12 hours, with a 3 hr nap.
    I recommend you wean before you work on the sleeping, it will be easier on you. When they woke up in the middle of the night, i didn't go in their room right away. i'd let them cry. i first started out for 10 minutes, then i'd go in there, give kisses, lay them back down, tell them it's night night time, and leave the room. (this also works for putting them to bed) after another 10 minutes, i'd go in there and feed them. after a couple days, i stretched it to 20 minutes, after about a week, they ended up soothing them to sleep, and then a few days after they just didn't wake up at night. now every kid is different so it may take longer for you, but this will pass! GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• oh i should have mentioned that with the weaning, you want to start by putting the breastmilk in the bottles, and when he gets used to using the bottle, mix milk and breastmilk 25/75, gradually making it 50/50, then 75milk/25 breastmilk, until you're fully on milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Sep. 10, 2009