HPV and he didnt cheat?

Last year I had a pap done it was abnormal and negative for HPV Well I just went to have my yearly pap and it was abnormal and postive for HPV. My BF says he never cheated on me and I know I havent cheated on him, We have been together for 2 years and now I dont know what to think. Is there away for last year it to be a false Neg, how long does HPV take to show up in a test. I do not have the gential warts strain of the virus just the ones that can cause cancer. I dont which is worse warts or cancer :( but how could this happen? Is it always sexualy transmitted. What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• yeah- when i was 19 i was diagnosed with it (i was pregnant and they were doing a pap and my results said that i had an abnormal pap as well) then after i had the baby everything came up negative and the next pregnancy everything was negative then with the next it was positive and my last pregnancy it said negative- the dr told me that when you have a baby the cells around your cervix can shed, which would make everything normal- then your body will catch up and it will be abnormal again. sometimes it stays away and sometimes it comes and stays for good- I don't think your bf cheated, just talk to your dr about your concerns
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I don't know, but I wanted you to have an answer. Please talk with your gyn about these questions. This would be the best thing. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 8:08 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I would ask your Dr. all these questions, just my opinion
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 8:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Yes it is always sexualy transmitted but, you could have it and not know it. HPV is very hard to get a result from a pap smear. Most people don't know they have it and the docs don't either. But it can go away. I broke out with warts when I was pregnant with my first. But I never got them again. In high school health they said that unless you are a virgin and your man is a virgin, everyone by the age of 30 will have some kind of HPV. Don't point the finger...you could have had it for along time and not none it.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 8:11 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Sure there are false negatives. Lab tests are wrong. Lab tests get mixed up. I know I used to be a lab tech and I worked for a short time at a big lab that does large volumes of tests like these. I quit because they expected me to do so many tests in such short amount of time I was afraid I would make mistakes and women like you would be wondering if their boy friend cheated, or worse.

Don't worry about cervical cancer. You will now be checked often. I had cervical cancer and all that had to be done was the bad areas had to be frozen. It was done in the doctor's office and took 10 min. That was it. It's been 21 years ago. Cervical cancer is no big deal if caught earlly.

For your other questions go to google and search. I think HPV can be dormant in either one of you. That means he may not have cheated. I'm not 100% sure.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I looked it up for you and found that it is not always sexual it can actually be transmitted by shaking hands...www.wedmd.com for those who dont believe me and also 3% is transmitted at childbirth you could have had it all your life and never knew. Most HVP virus goes away in 2 years. Be glad you dont have warts that would really suck, I hope you dont get cancer from it, it is very rare for you to get cancer, but it is possible also you will always carry the HVP strain even if your next test is negative it is uncurable. Most people show no signs and never know they had it. Good luck
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 8:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• HPV can lay dormant in anyone- I tested positive for it out of the blue when i got pregnant when my last pap was just fine.

It's absolutely possible that neither of you cheated and that you've had it since before him and it just never showed in a pap- happened to me.

Don't stress!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I can't believe you didn't talk to the dr when you found out
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Labs can be wrong. HPV can be dormant for a time. Call your doctor.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 8:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2009