Someone help me understand this.. what the hell is an "open marriage"

I mean, seriously? You marry someone, then the two of you decide it's "ok" to sleep with other people? Um, why get married then? Sorry if I sound rude, I just truly don't get it.

I guess I'm also bitter about it because the girl that keeps harassing my family is also in an "open marriage" and apparently doesn't get that ours is CLOSED.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• i think an "open marriage" is BS. honestly, ESPECIALLY if you have children, how much more selfish can you get? you get MARRIED to be MONOGAMOUS, not flit around like some horny college student. If you want to live that lifestyle, I sure hope you don't have kids. If the wife or husband doesn't want sex anymore, get counseling... its more than just not wanting to have sex, there are emotional factors involved.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:08 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• well me and my hubby swing- we only do it with the other in the room and same time we love each other but have a very unique/fun sex life we like the variety still , but no its not for everyone, it keeps it young and fresh, but im bisexual so i like to be with women as well so thats why we have a semi-open
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Swingers are a different breed of people I never understood how thier mines work, just like women who agree to have a 3some to please their man...WTH that would never happen I am too jealous for that. How can you even look at your man knowing his penis and mouth and body has been all over someone else before he came home and now all over you... Yeah right I dont get it. Never will. We arent even married and its still a closed realtionship, if you want to screw other people then be single if you wanna live the single way of life.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 8:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• first anon here gigi- YOU may not agree but to say we are another BREED of people is very immature... never once did i judge or insult you for your lifestyle..please dont insult those that have a different lifestyle then you, respect others till given a personal reason not too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• my person reason is my mom and dad were swingers and my dad walked out on us when I was 3 for the other women and didnt have nothing to do with me until I was 18 so yea i do hold a resentment toward that kind of lifestyle it competely destroyed my childhood and I think people who cheat and want to be with more then one person at one time are selfish, it is not a way of life it hurts you in the long run even if you think it wont, in 10 years I want you to email me and tell me how things are working out.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 8:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I have seen so many couples who have divorced because of this lifestyle. I don't understand it and don't imagine I ever will.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 8:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Many married ppl have the open marriage. Some wives don't want sex anymore so they let dh stray just for sex. Her home is safe. He's not leaving. He's just getting his needs met bc she won't pony up. It's a win win win situation
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• gigi- first anon again...ive been with my hubby 11 years we have swung for 10 years of that and still going strong and very happily.. im sorry your dad was a dick and did that to your family, but not all that swing do that or that way...oh and its not cheating, we are both in same room at same time, and it is a lifestyle.. you will never believe that but it is, and i really think its sad how close minded some of you ladies truly are, so sorry just because your dad is a dick not all are im sorry...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• me and mine have swung before kids and it was fun and different, but we stopped after kids, we lived and had fun and now settled down probably a phase, i wouldn't do it again but i also would not judge others that do.
    Lovebeingmomto1

Answer by Lovebeingmomto1 at 9:26 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• An open marraige to me is know better then a swinger couple. I would never do neither.

Answer by louise2 at 9:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2009