should I prepare my hospital bag soon And what do I need?

Im 31 weeks pregnant.
Me and my fiance live on a budget so we like to plan ahead with expenses, as anyone who budgets does. I have almost everything I need for my new arrival, and all of the stuff, which isnt much, I dont have will be bought this friday and I've already had a post and made a list based on advice moms gave me for what I need to pick up for the baby. So I figure I will get some good advice with this as well.

so far my list consists of
1 big bag for the stuff, my ViaCord Kit, 3 of (Pj/loose pants, loose shirts, pairs of socks) and thats it. Its a mandatory 3 day stay at the hospital unless your doctor signs for you to go home early. oh I also have the carseat and need to put it in my car. disposable cameras and baby book as well.

What else do I need? so I can start to budget it in...
Do I also bring the babies diaper bag?

Thank you all

Dom123123

Asked by Dom123123 at 8:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I WAY over packed the first time. You really don't need a lot. The hospital supplies everything (and you're paying for it, so use it!). Have a going home outfit for yourself and your baby. You won't be your pre-pregnancy weight after the baby, so make sure you have something loose to wear so you're comfortable. Also, if you plan on nursing, a nursing bra/tanktop would be really helpful. I pretty much chilled in the nursing gown the entire time as did my children. Don't forget to also pack either an extra battery or charger for your camera and cellphone. Good luck! :)
    LizServo

Answer by LizServo at 8:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Shampoo and conditioner and tooth brush and your own tooth paste I would take a couple of your own towels too.
    neveragain17

Answer by neveragain17 at 8:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• entertainment for you, snacks, list of phone numbers, slippers, shampoo/conditioner and soap if you're gonna be there for three days you'll want to be clean. clothes for the baby to come home in, blankets.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:23 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• You don't have to take anything with you except a car seat and something for the baby to wear home.

If you are on a budget then don't worry about saving the baby's cord blood. With the advances that are being made there will be other ways to treat genetic diseases in the near future. They will be able to take cells (stem cells or other cells) from a person, correct the genes, and put them back in that person. My family has a serious genetic blood disease and the hematologists and immunologists didn't even recommend my grandson's cord blood be saved.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I always took my own diaper bag with wipes, lanolin, or breast cream and an extra blanket and sleeper. If you're going to breastfeed I would suggest a nursing shirt or 2. GL and CONGRATS!!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I just read about the mandatory 3 day stay. That's crazy! Most woman have trouble sleeping in the hospital and do much better at home. With my second baby everything went so well I went home about 3 hours after he was born.

Talk to your doctor about the mandatory 3 day stay. Make sure you can have 24 hour rooming in for breastfeeding. I hope it's private rooms! Some hospitals make babies go to the nursery if the other person has visitors. A one night stay is plenty.

It's never too late to change hospitals or doctors if there is a choice in your area and your insurance lets you. With my first baby I went to 7 different doctors before I found out about a CNM about an hour from my home. So we drove an hour with me in labor but it was worth it.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• As far as GAiillAZs post....my advice is to take the 3 day stay! Once you get home you are on your own. I wish I cpuld have stayed the extra day! Enjoy it!

Bring gum, chap stick, and a fav lotion. The hosptial supplies all the rest - including diapers! Good luck!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 8:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• What state are you in that is mandatory 3 days stay? In our state it's 24 hours for vaginal births and 3 days only if it's a csection. We didn't take anything. The hospital has everything you need except the car seat and you have that covered.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• its not madatory as n they will keep you locked in but its more "recommended"

I have Kaiser in California and my insurance/hospital recommends the 3 days, I dont know why and to check out early I'd have to get permission from my doctor as long as my baby is healthy i dont think there will be an issue
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 8:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2009