Please help my nipples! (probably TMI)

I've been breastfeeding my DD since day one. She's gonna be 6 months on Friday and she's been teething since she was 3 months. My nipples are a MESS!! They look like somebody cut around them with a razor blade! The cuts are sooo deep, it looks like you can lift my nipples up. All the skin around my nipples is sore and flaky and my breast pads rub the skin off making everything raw. I'm in so much pain I can't nurse my daughter, and that breaks my heart. Is there ANYTHING I can do to fix them or is it time to stop nursing her all together?

piercedbeauty21

Asked by piercedbeauty21 at 8:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Health

• i had that problem too, because i have eczema. I had to stop nursing my daughter, which she was fine with (she HATED nursing, and pushed me away and fought it like crazy.. i know, weird for a newborn) I would suggest contacting someone from the la leche league or whatever that is. They might have an idea what you can do.
    I would suggest maybe to "air out" your breasts as much as possible, when your at home run around topless... that way the rubbing from your bra pads dont kill you.
    Ginanne

Answer by Ginanne at 8:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Have you tried any of the creams?
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 8:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Ok, so is she teething on you? If so, teach her not to. Just when she starts teething on you say no, unlatch her and set her down. Pick her back up a couple minutes later and try again. Do this until she figures out that she is not allowed to do that.

If it is raw, then look into GGGRRRRRR I can't remember the name of it now, but it is a cream for when you are nursing. It is wonderful. You do not have to stop nursing, but you do need to set some boundaries with it. You can't be a pacifier for her or a teether, she needs to learn to be nice while nursing. The only way to teach that is to do what I said at the beginning.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 8:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Yeah, I've tried the lansinoh. I've been rubbing it on after showers and before bed. I've been putting band-aids on my nipples, so when I go to bed (I sleep topless) they don't rub against my sheets.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 8:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• If your baby is on the breast right this shouldn't be able to happen. Try to get your baby to get more of the breast in her mouth. Wait until she opens wide. If you open wide she should imitate you. The baby shouldn't be having her teeth down by the nipple. If she is on right her teeth are up higher. Yes, you can breastfeed 6 months and not have the baby on right.

When she starts to bite down pull her closer to the breast so the breast blocks her nose. She will open her mouth to breath. Don't pull off and say no, ect. That can cause biting down and anxiety for both of you.

Try going on the internet and finding pictures of really good latch. There are animated pictures that show how the baby is supposed to suckle the milk out and not hang out on the nipple.
    I hope this helps. You can email me if you need more help.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2009