shorts and cowboy boots?

This boy in my daughters school (10th grade) got suspended for wearing shorts down to his knees and cowboy boots. Am I the only one who thinks this is stupid?

heavenlypeace

Asked by heavenlypeace at 8:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yeah! I'm sure it was fashion faux pas, but to get suspended? That's just ridiculous. What exactly did he get suspended for?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• why? do they have a dress code? maybe that is all he had to wear...i agree i think its kinda stupid.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 8:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Yeah, why would they suspend him? Is there a no boots rule or no shorts rule?? IF so then I could almost understand the issue. But if not and I was his parent I would be fighting it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• wtf kind of school is that? they should have just called the fashion police on him, lmao!
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 8:46 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I'm thinking that it maybe just the boots they are protesting. Maybe thinking they could be used as a weapon. If it is in the dress code, even in concept the parents may not have much of a case to fight it.

Personally I think it's pretty lame, but I don't make the rules.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• theres no rule against cowboy boots or shorts as long as they are a dollar length from the knees. This school is being really strict on the kids this year. Any little thing is D-hall or ISS. The only thing I can think of is they thought it may be distracting other students.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 8:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It seems to me that the more they do to prevent distraction, the more distracted everyone gets. I hope his parents raise hell. Half the kids at my high school wore cowboy boots but with the new principal they're not allowed to have more than one earing in each ear. I think schools are getting off track. They're blaming style on grades and teachers are required to spend more time enforcing the rules than teaching. It's a shame.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 9:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Is there a dress code,if,not his parents should investigate.
    lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 9:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I got detention in high school for wearing a hooded sweatshirt (plain, green, hooded sweatshirt). Some schools are ridiculous when it comes to dress codes. If they want to have so much control over how students dress then why not have uniforms.

Anyway if I was the parents I probably would complain. I think schools should be worrying about more important things like bullying and students failing than cowboy boots.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Boots are banned in every school around here. I see nothing wrong with it.

Boots can easily call someone to trip and fall and get hurt or can also easily be turned into a dangerous weapon if a person happened to be wearing boots and got into a fight. For anyone who has never been kicked by someone wearing cowboy boots let me tell you, it doesn't feel good (Even though I was kicked only by accident it left a pretty good mark)
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2009