A different social program or not? Debate (help me out here)

Today I got into a debate with a guy who insists that Vocational Rehab is a conservative program because it helps people get jobs, and therefore it is in NO WAY "socialism" (in the way that many people view PA, Food Stamps, public schools, et al.) BUT voc rehab receives state funding to operate (it appears to be part of DSS) and pays for many things to help people. I realize the "system" has gone sadly off-track concerning some cases involved in PA where people do manage to exploit the system, but the point of the program is still inherently much the same (and funded from the same pot) as voc rehab. Get people out in the work force on their own two feet.

So -- can voc rehab possibly be considered a conservative-establishment, or is his argument based on being so firmly against the evils of "socialism" and Obama (cause that came up, too, sigh) that he can't accept services without this justification?

roachiesmom

Asked by roachiesmom at 9:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• He might know that guy who stood up in a town hall meeting and yelled "you keep your government hand off my medicare!"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• He just might at that. :O)

Seriously, he seems like a really bright guy...he just has complete tunnel-vision on this topic. Should it come up again, I want to be well-armed.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 9:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It is a social program. I don't know exactly what this particular program does, but a little social help can be okay. An example would be a contruction worker with no other marketable skills that ends up in a wheel chair, but still wants to feed his family. A voc rehab can help train him for a new job. I tend to be a little bit for people having a job!

Whether or not it started out as a conservative thing would have to be traced back to its inception. A lot of of are equal opportunity "haters" (as we are called). The main thing we hate is the waste and the govt intrusion into private affairs.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Special, it does exactly what you said in your example...plus as I understand it, in some places, it will assist that handicapped man pay his medical bills and regular bills until he has that job. They also train people with mental and other disabilities for jobs, and many other things. It's very possible that if the mainstream PA system was run more like voc rehab, it would be in a lot better shape, as well. But it is still government funds doing providing this assistance, which in my book, too, makes it a social program.

Unfortunately, I debate so much better typing at a computer than in real life. Then again, my social ineptitude and other autism-related issues are why I'm also in the program.

Thanks for putting your two cents in on this, though. :O)

Where is everyone else? On the Obama posts?
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 10:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Obama made the point in his speech last night that most of our well-loved programs (Medicade and Social Security for ex) were critisized as being 'socialist' when they were first being proposed. A large society has to have social programs (yes, they are socialist) or it cannot succeed. Churches collect tithes and these too go to supporting social programs. It is what civilized people and societies do. I don't understand why people are so afraid of taking care of the society in which they live. These same 'conservatives' are told in church that they should help their fellow man. How is it any different?
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 6:51 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• It is a conservative effort to get people working. A socialistic or liberal agenda imposed in the workings of other government run programs would enable people with their problem and continure it causing them to become dependent. If the program forces or helps someone to become self supporting on their own, it is a conservative effort. Welcome to the other side.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• It's the difference in the hand-up VS hand-out. Conservatives are all for lending a helping hand to people who actually need it and to try to help them learn to help themselves. A hand-out simply encourages societies to rely on the gov't to meet its needs and ultimately creates a society in which the government has complete power and control. Our nation is becoming more and more this way, which is why conservatives/libertarians fight to move the people back toward self-reliance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Sep. 10, 2009