What do you think of Kiddie leashes?

I was thinking about getting 1 for my 17 month old...needing opinions...

CandyMama231

Asked by CandyMama231 at 9:11 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I approve. They allow a little one a bit more freedom, and they allow the parent to be more secure that the little one is nearby.

Answer by Bmat at 9:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I have one, but I dont use it for walkes down the street ect. But I do use it when we are in large crowds where she could easily get lost or stolen. I think its a good thing to have, my DD doesnt like to sit so for us its easier to strap her in and let her walk rather than her screaming the whole time lol
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 9:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I love those things! I had to use one with each of my children when they were 1 and 2. We were in airports for the busiest time of the year (christmas) and the leashes allowed e to carry our luggage and keep me kids within reaching distance. They make some really cute ones with animal backpacks. I would have my kids put the backpack on and tell them i was going to hold on to the tail of the monkey to make sure that it didnt get dirty. They loved that idea. they didnt catch on that i was just trying to keep them with me.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 9:15 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• They are worth it. Especially if you have a runner. Just remember that not everyone approves so you will get desenting opinions. But, I have found they are a lifesaver. And you can get the cute little backpack ones that the kids love.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• We have one and I think that it is a great idea. My DD however has a different opinion. She screams when I put it on. She prefers to carry the cute bear instead of wearing it. He is our favorite thsese days. He even naps with her. I would love to get it on her w/o her screaming.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• If someone calls them LEASHES one more damn time...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

They are called SAFETY HARNESSES. Say it with me, ladies. SAFETY HARNESSES.

s-a-f-e-t-y h-a-r-n-e-s-s-e-s.

Why don't you do a search thru the "answers" sections for the hundreds of other moms who have asked the same question? Seriously, it's getting rather old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I will definitely be getting one for my very active one year old. It will be the only way I will ever be able to take him in public and "turn him loose" or so he will think, haha. I used to work in a retail store and those things prevented a lot of children from turning things over and hurting themselves. I have no issues calling them leashes, lol, but safety harness does sound much better.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• l-e-a-s-h-e-s...why??? i have a 2 year old, and have never needed them. and trust me, he's a runner. it's called being a PARENT. you can still give them space, just make sure they understand they have to be in your sight, and stay close. if they get too far, or out of your sight, get them & firmly tell them to stay with you. if they do it again, tell them that they didn't listen so they go in the basket. oh and a pop on the butt works too.

this all coming from a woman who has taken my kids to the airport (what ever happened to "hold my hand"??? if they say no, show them YOU'RE in charge, not them. sometimes having them hold your shirt instead works as well, it's a compromise), the zoo, grocery stores, malls, (and i mean BIG malls, like the Opry), ect.

obviously i'm against them. do i judge a mom that uses them? nope. not my kid. raise them like you want. i just can't believe that society is treating our kids like dogs
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Sep. 10, 2009