what do you think about cloth diapers?

I am expecting number 2 and I am thinking about using cloth diapers. I was wondering if anyone could tell me their opinions...do you like them better than disposable diapers? are they easy to use?

MotherofTahj

Asked by MotherofTahj at 9:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They are reusable. But I  do not know how much money you will save. Your water bill and electric bill will go up washing them all the time.

Answer by louise2 at 9:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• They are very messy to deal with!You are constantly cleaning poop off of them and dunking them in the toilet and then soaking them in a bucket of clorox water until you wash them. We had really bad iron in our water when I did them and it was just a mess for me. When kids get older and don't poop as much I would maybe try them then.Hope this helps, if you really want to save, use them and deal with the mess. I got free diapers near where I live for one year, I don't know if you have any where you live but you could check.
    shannon2206

Answer by shannon2206 at 9:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• http://www.gogreenisland.com/

I bought my cloth diapers from the above website and I loved them. They are a lil bit more work than huggies but it's well worth it. See huggies stay in the landmines for a very long time. Good luck!
    Darlinree

Answer by Darlinree at 9:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My friend uses them... they hooked up one of those sprayer hoses next to the toilet. i believe, lol.. to make the cleaning easier. im assuming they like using them, because they aren't poor and are still using them. Personally I would rather spend the money on the diapers.. imagine the laundry. yikes. you'd probably constantly be washing them.. I already CONSTANTLY am washing bottles, so thats just another constant to add to the list..i wouldnt. lol
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 9:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• They are soooo! much nicer on the baby.
    One of my first thoughts after I became a new mom and they put a stiff, man-made, plastic-y (disposable-style) diaper on my perfect newborn, it just seemed so wrong. UNnatural.
    You will save about $2000 if you use cloth over disposables and wash them yourself. While disposables are priced very cheaply for the newborn sizes, as your baby grows the diapers start costing a lot more.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• They are fantastic! We some a friend gave us and some we picked up at a consignment shop. We kept a bucket with water and vinegar to throw the dirties into.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Why Cloth Diapers?

frugal parent

Wow. Even when you factor in laundering your cloth diapers at home, you still save over $1700 using cloth diapers on a single child for a period of two years. Just imagine how much money you can save by re-using those same cloth diapers on other children.http://verybaby.com/dollars

doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• We used them for both our girls, and I don't regret it for a second. I only wish I had started earlier and gotten some that are extra absorbent for night time. Do a search online, or check diaperswappers.com for some how-to info and some reviews of different brands and styles.;
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 10:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I will never go back to disposables! I started CDing my daughter when she was about 4 months old (we waited until we got our taxes back to order them because we didn't have enough before) and she'll be 1 next month. Sometimes it's a hassle because we'll forget that we're on our next to last diaper or something and we'll have to just use two prefolds together until they come out of the dryer. And it's a pain to have to order them, I guess, but that was mostly just the anticipation lol. We have 5 Bum Genius 3.0s I think, and like 24 prefolds and one or two covers (we had three, but she outgrew one and I think we've, um, "misplaced" one lol). With my paycheck this week I think I'm going to order some more covers and Snappis (a LIFESAVER! they replace pins). I ordered mine from Nicki's Diapers .

Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:33 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• CONTINUED:

There are several really great Cloth Diapering groups here on CM you should check out to see if it's really for you. There's TONS of great info on them.

I've also made a couple for my daughter after I got a sewing machine. I'm thinking that I'm going to make some more this weekend, if I can get to JoAnn's to get some fabric (I want fleece for covers/outer layers on the diapers). And I'm trying to learn to knit so I can knit covers for this winter out of wool.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:35 AM on Sep. 10, 2009