Homework Blues!

How can i encourage my kindergartener to finish her homeowrk in a timely fashion? Ive tried leaving her to do it with minimal help, hovering, and even talking her through it step by step. None of these work. I know she can do the work, I've seen her write many words on her own. But when it comes to actually doing it for school she is stubborn and always looking around or doodling. I'm almost at my wits end! I dont want to be fighting with her about school work for the rest of her school career. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

momie_of_munch2

Asked by momie_of_munch2 at 9:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You may want to look at timing. Some kids respond better to doing work right after school, some before dinner, etc. Are there other distractions going on in the house (ie. older kids watching TV, baby brother playing close by)? If those don't seem to help.....a silent timer or reward chart may help. You can use the hourglass from a board game, make a chart on your computer, or purchase either from a teacher supply store.
    tottote

Answer by tottote at 11:57 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I have had this battle for the last 2 years and we have crying fits and it is very frustrating. My daughter this year loves to set a timer and see if she can do her homework or reading before the timer goes off and it works!!!Maybe offer a treat or something if she finishes it before 5-10 minutes depending on how long you think it will take to do this.We have been doing well this year so far with doing this.Hope this helps!!
    shannon2206

Answer by shannon2206 at 9:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• With my son we do the timer like the pp, and I plan something to do when he is done that has a time restriction, for example "well, your fav. cartoon starts in (blank) minutes, I certainly hope you can finish by then, otherwise you won't get to watch it." I usually DVR, so if he finishes in time I let him watch, if not, no cartoon.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 11:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Homework time is the favorite time at my house. I know...I am probably one of those weirdos that just love school. Between me and my husband we have college degrees. My son's school gives homework, with the exception of reading, on a weekly basis.

We would sometimes go to Starbucks and I would buy my son's drink when he had done about half of his weekly homework. We would sit and chat and then he would get back to doing more work. He might not finish all of the pages, but he would finish almost all of it. :-) We also had a great time together. I swear....my kids actually ASK to do homework. :-)

Usually, I would bring something for me to work on such as a calendar or something else that I could be interrupted from.   I have 2 younger children, so it is VERY hard for us to get quality 1 on 1 study at home. We do this about one time a week. :-)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:28 AM on Sep. 10, 2009