are ferrets safe for babies?

I'm currently living in a home with four ferrets, they sleep in my fiance && my room. And I'm due in Oct.5th. the thing is, I want to know if the ferrets are safe for my baby.
they don't roam around in our room, they go everywhere else in the house [and they have the house trashed b/cuz of it] but they sleep in our room.
the cage isn't constantly cleaned only like once a week or once every two weeks.
and they don't get let out much as well...

will they harm my baby both physical and healthy wise???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If they are well-trained and you clean up after them frequently, they shouldn't be a problem. However, I would never leave any pet alone with a baby for any length of time, whether it's a dog, cat , ferret or bird. Animals are unpredicatable, and you don't know 100% for sure that nothing will happen, so just take precautions to make sure that you are supervising any contact between the ferrets and your baby. DH and I had a ferret for a long time, but he was unfortunately put down while I was still pregnant with my first dd, he had a seizure and could no longer walk or eat. :(
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 10:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I'm not sure but I always thought that ferrets were mean, and I know they smell bad so I would assume they are not sanitary. But I honestly don't know anything other than that, sry
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 9:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Read this maybe it will help.
    http://www.craftycreatures.com/forferretsonly/ask_angela/pregnancy_risk.html
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• they are fine and they are clean and dont smell bad if you actually take care of them but as you know they take alot of work, and so does a newborn child but they are not mean animals either, i think it comes down to can you keep up the maintenance of them and a newborn really
    Lovebeingmomto1

Answer by Lovebeingmomto1 at 9:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• i wouldn't put the baby in the ferret cage or put the ferrets in the baby's cage. erm crib.

You're fine.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2009