How can I get my two year old to stop throwing

My son turned two this past June, he has failed the M-CHAT a couple times now and we have him in several different kinds of therapy, speech, ABA, and he sees a developmental therapist for an hour every other week ( Even I haven't figured out what the heck she is for) My son is off the charts when it comes to gross motor skills, his verbal is Very delayed, he does seem to understand what we say, his comprehension level is pretty good, he does use some signs that help with communication, and since beginning ABA therapy the tantrums have gone down significantly. The one thing we are still struggling with is his throwing things ( he has a deadly aim!) We have tried making him pick up what he threw, taking toys away, time out, and I have even tried slapping his hand ( awful I know, but when he throws he aims for heads and sometimes catches you in the back of the head if you are not looking) he thinks this is funny, what can I try?

Kristenclaire

Asked by Kristenclaire at 10:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my son started throwing things (it was when he was mad) I told him I'd throw it in the trash; well he didn't listen and the next time he did it I made him pick it up and put it in the trash can himself. It was very traumatic for him but effective. He did it once more and I started toward him and he urgently said I'm sorry I'm sorry and picked it up. That was the last time. I don't know if this will help in your situation though. If he understands that he shouldn't do it and he still does I would do what I did.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• wow, sounds like you're in a rough spot. Im sorry. Im glad he is getting the help he needs though. My daughter also throws things, not only when she is mad but she everything. When she is done with it, she throws it. I have been sitting her in time out whenever she throws anything. I tell her why she is going to time out and when its time for her to get up I remind her of why she was in time out in the first place. It hasnt stopped her... yet.. but I am hoping that all of this consistency will pay off. Remember to keep your calm but to speak firmly. He does understand.
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 9, 2009