How to deal with bed time tantrums

this is a new thing the last few nights my easy to get to bed child is a terror at bed time..help...how do i deal with the kicking the doors the screaming the constant "im thirsty..i need to potty...i want a hug..i want to read to you..lay with me" i feel bad because hes upset that im not responding to him...should i give in or wait it out..any advice...by the way hes 2 1/2 yrs old..

connorsmom22607

Asked by connorsmom22607 at 10:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wait it out. He's just trying to get out of bed and prolong being up. Give him reprecautions if he yells screams or kicks during or after bed time. Stay strong and be firm, that's all I know to tell you. He'll eventually stop.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• We're dealing with the *exact* same thing right now. One thing that's worked for me (at least, it's worked the last two nights I've done it) is I take him to the bathroom (that's the big one: "Need potty!"), and I tell him "You're going to go potty, and then you're going straight to bed." Then I walk him back to his bedroom, and I tell him "Get into bed." I did this on Sunday night and again tonight, and it worked. Monday and Tuesday, my husband put him to bed, and it didn't work for him. I think it's because he carried him back instead of walking him back. That seems to make a huge difference.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 11:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I have noticed that being overly tired really effects my LO. If her nap is too short, if she didn't get enough sleep the night before, or if she is going to bed even a 1/2 hour late. We definatly have difficult night but most of the time she likes going to bed. We usually do bath time, brush our teeth, and then I ask her if she wants to cuddle and read books. I think that is much more interesting to her then saying "time for bed." I lay in bed with her and read as many books as she wants. She will roll over and lay on her stomach when she is done. It usually take about 15 minutes.

Good luck!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2009