What can I do to help my 8 year old, is this some form of anxiety?

I don't know how to start, my daughter is 8 she is a well behaved child, she Rarely gets in trouble, I do believe in spanking and she has maybe had 4 spankings in her entire life, my oldest is 13 and he would tell you he has had maybe 10 in his entire life, spankings are reserved for really bad behavior...lately my daughter acts as if she is "afraid of me" she literally cowers and it is driving me batty, I ask her why she acts this way, she says she doesn't know...she will cry easily over the silliest things. If I ask her a direct question she will act shy, and stammer and if I get impatient and say spit it out she will try and say never mind. I sat down with her tonight and tried to ask her what was wrong, why was she acting this way and I got a lot of sad eyes and shrugs. I also went over the rules and consequences to try and alleviate any fear of the unknown, this is a very new developement and I really don't understand.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It could be hormones, or it could be something more serious. If she were my daughter, I would tke her to a child psychologist for an evaluation.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I would def talk to her doc. It doesn't sound like normal behavior, there has to be an underlining cause to the behavior.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It could be bullying or something else. You might consider calling the school consouler. The consouler  would be able to get any in-site on what is happening. 

Are you friends with parents of any kids in the grade? It might be a way to find out what is happening at school. You could also ask to volunteer; partly to see what is going on at school and the other reason is to be available to staff. Maybe someone has seen something.

bugfree

Answer by bugfree at 4:08 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Is she prepubescent?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Sep. 10, 2009