Calling a teacher by her first name?

My son is going into preschool and I was told that his teacher's name is Kelly. His cousin goes to the same school and he calls his teacher by her first name. I don't know if it is just how I was raised, but shouldn't there be a Miss or Ms in front of that?
I believe in having respect for people such as teachers and not giving them the title of Mr or Ms/Miss just seems wrong...I know I'm not the only one that thinks this way. but does anyone have an idea as to why they have children to call their teacher by their first name?

Domzmom2005

Asked by Domzmom2005 at 10:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I used to work as a preschool teacher and some kids called me Ms. and some just called me by my first name.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 10:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Yeah, I think that's a little strange too. I would want my kids to learn respect for their elders also. I don't know what you would do about this though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It depends on in what kind of preschool your child is. But in the one I used to work I wasn't allowed to tell the kids to call me Ms.
    When I introduced myself or referred to myself I used Miss but if a child called me by my first name I wasn't allowed to tell the child to call me Miss.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 11:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Yeah, I think thats pretty common in preschools. But just because the teacher calls herself kelly, you can tell your son to call her ms. kelly and explain to him why you want him to do that. My mom never wanted to be called Mrs by anyone because she said it made her feel old haha, maybe thats her feelings as well. But Im sure she wouldnt have a problem if you and your son wanted to call her miss kelly.
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 11:08 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It is fine as long as the adult gave the kids permission to call them by their first name. I have worked in Early Childhood for 20 years and normally it is Ms. Janet but some kids just forget about the Ms. My son's friends all call me Janet or mom. That is how I want it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I was a preschool teacher long before I was a mom and I went by Ms Heather and then Mrs Heather.
    I only worked in one preschool that would not allow us to be called miss/mrs/ms whatever. We were teacher so and so. It was so the children felt that they were equals. I find this very disrespectful.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 11:15 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• PP...equals?? YOU were the adult and they were - what? - 3 or 4? Ummm you're not meant to be an EQUAL!! I totally agree with you that it was very disrespectful!!
    OP - JMO, but I think teachers should ALWAYS be Miss/Mrs/Ms whatever. Even if it is their first name. My sister-in-law is a teacher and the year she got married she began the year with "Miss Firstname" instead of having the kids worry about changing in the middle of the year. It is a matter of respect and even if it is preschool, they need to be taught respect. There are actually some parents out there who do not teach their kids to respect authority figures (shocking, isn't it?!) and then wonder why they are such monsters and won't listen to anyone when they get older.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• back in the 70s we could call some of the younger teachers by their first name if they said it was OK but in Georgia it is Miss or Mr in you are using the first name. i like that
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 11:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• In our school district they call the teachers Miss and then their first name for preschool!If you want your child to adress their teacher by Miss then teach them that! As a parent you be the teacher. Teach your kids respect. As a teacher my job is to reinforce the social skills and manners your children need. You should be teaching them those manners!
    simplysmiles13

Answer by simplysmiles13 at 12:19 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• my daughters preschool had the children call them "teacher susan" and "teacher chelsea" which i thought sounded cute.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:35 AM on Sep. 10, 2009