how can i help my daughter sleep at night we've tried everything

Hi my daughter is 9 has aspergers syndrome and adhd. she takes adderall and is having trouble sleeping. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I've heard that melatonin works, doc precribed benadryl for allergies and said i could give it to her at night but i don't feel this should be used for long term use. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

juicetee6

Asked by juicetee6 at 11:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Maybe these will help. I don't know a lot about it but there seems to be a lot of info out there on it.
    A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism: How to Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive. It's by Dr. Sally Ozonoff, Dr. Geraldine Dawson, and Dr. James McPartland.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• steep some sleepy time tea and put at least double what they say, if it's not sweet enough try adding licorice root. Valerian root also helps. Melatonin only helps if you lay down and turn everything off (no tv or lights or anything to distract you from sleep)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My oldest has autism and we used melatonin for a period of time until he got on a set sleep schedule. It worked well for us.

Answer by missanc at 8:15 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I have heard St. John's Wort and valerian help.

I found Hyland's Calms Forte helps, for me. They also have a children's version. It is supposed to help reduce anxiety and promote sleep. SInce my sleep problems were related to the fact that I couldn't slow my brain down, it worked like a charm.

Obviously, since your child is already on medication, you will need to check for drug interactions.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:15 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My step son is ADHD/ODD and is on ritalin also. He takes melatonin at night so he can sleep better. It has helped us get him on a better schedule so we are not up til midnight trying to get him to bed.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 10:10 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• We use melatonin at night for my younger son. We think he is ADD but we haven't really looked into it yet. That's for a different question entirely though...
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 8:47 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I have ADHD and have taken Adderall. One of the things my doctor told me was to make sure that I did not take it any later than 8am. However, I still didn't sleep. I didn't want to take Adderall in the morning and a sleep aid at night, because I felt like I was becoming a junkie. I talked to my doctor and switched to Concerta. We are still working to get the correct dosage for me, but it doesn't keep me up all night. Is there possibly another medication that she could try?
    bracketrat

Answer by bracketrat at 11:35 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I take adderall myself and if I take it too late in the day I can't sleep. Make sure she gets it approximately the same time everyday and it should be early in the morning.
    vikkinbill

Answer by vikkinbill at 10:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2009