Spin off from a P&CE question. (mostly for Christians, but all thoughts are welcome)

I am Pagan, so is it acceptable to you if I say "God Bless America" and other common phrases that involve "God"?
If not, please explain why.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 11:23 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know why not
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 3:13 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• More power to you! But then im not christian.......
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 11:26 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I am Christian and I am never going to tell a person not to say God bless America~~~ because we need Got to bless America.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• sure. i see things like "God Bless America" & "God Bless You" (when someone sneezes) as just common niceties that have no baring on someone's religion. now if you were saying it to be a jerk, like all sarcastic then you should stop, but i doubt thats what you mean :D
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:28 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Correct me if I'm wrong but don't pagans still believe in a "higher being" ? Just curious...anyhoo...

I don't think anyone giving any blessing is bad...you are wishing your neighbor well - and they may very well believe in God...or not...

I guess people take offense at things that just don't matter - ...
    AngelaKay

Answer by AngelaKay at 11:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• As long a BO is saying it. God forbid a Republican said it. People would be coming unglued, hollering, "Separation of church and state" crapola.  People like to make excuses for BO.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• "People like to make excuses for BO."

I don't make excuses for my BO. I know it's because I haven't showered in several days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I don't think the word 'God' is Christian-specific. I also think that some things are used as a figure of speech without any real meaning behind it. Like saying "God bless you" when someone sneezes. I would never be offended by someone wishing me well in some way just because I may not have the same view of a higher power as them.

And just curious, because I'm Canadian, but if this is in regards to the 'God Bless America' at the end of presidential speeches, don't ALL presidents say that because it's pretty much expected? I don't think I've ever heard a president speak without referencing God at the end... granted I haven't seen a whole lot of presidents speak but I thought it was just expected.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:00 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• "Correct me if I'm wrong but don't pagans still believe in a "higher being" ? Just curious...anyhoo..."

Yes. Most Pagan's do believe in a higher power.

"As long a BO is saying it. God forbid a Republican said it. People would be coming unglued, hollering, "Separation of church and state" crapola. People like to make excuses for BO."

I'm pretty sure that lots of republicans say "God Bless America", very openly and dont get bashed.

""People like to make excuses for BO."

I don't make excuses for my BO. I know it's because I haven't showered in several days."

LMFAO. oh. thank you for that. ...very nice.

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:19 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• But you believe in a God, so why would it offend anyone? I don't believe in a God, so I omit most phrases where God is concerned.. but since I was raised a Christian, sometimes it slips up in a figure of speech.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:37 AM on Sep. 10, 2009