are you kidding me!

so i had a dr's apt yesterday and my dr informed me that hes leaveing. hes going to teach in a different state a wk before my daughter is supposed to be born. im like wth and kinda freaking out because i have to have a c-section and i dont want some person i've known for a whole 5 mins to do my surgery ( im about 35 wks) and im thinking about asking if he will do it before he leaves....but im not sure if thats a good idea he'll be gone at the end of the month and she'll be term the 21st. does anybody else think its kinda crapy that my dr is bailing out this late in the game im just wonder what other ppl reaction would be.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• not a bad idea as long as shes past 37 wks 95% chane of survival ask can't hurt
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I would t totally be freaked out! I've had the same gyno since i was 18, and he delivered my son, i am now 9 weeks along with baby number 2 and if he were to do that i would be livid! You could try to ask him to do the surgery, however i would probaly find another gyno really quickly someone who delivered one of your friends children, or something of that sort, maybe make one of them go with you help you get used to the new doctor. But yeah, i would be ticked off but there are others whom are in your boat deaing with the same thing, your having a child obviously you are a strong woman and used to changes, this is just another iron in the fire. Good luck with the baby.
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 11:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• That happened to me. At my 37 week appointment my midwife said she was going to be out of town for the next two weeks. I was super upset. She did agree to induce me on the fourth of July because she was going to be in town that day only. I was so happy to have her deliver me. One of the other midwives I wouldn't let deliver my baby if she was the last birthing attendant ever. She is a nut job and I was horrified until Janet said she could deliver my baby.
    I do think it is crappy for them to not tell you until it is too late. UGH..docs suck!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I don't know.... What I do understand is that in order to perform surgery, the surgeons must keep an emotional distance. So through the prenatal period, might not be very "close." In that respect, a doctor needs to be good, thorough, careful...
    I would hope that the doctor would genuinely care for their patient, but understand that side, too.
    Could you start to see a new OB and become better acquainted?
    Or even avoid the OB route altogether? Seeing a different kind of provider like a midwife will give you a very different experience. This kind of provider tends to allow for a more emotionally-attached relationship. Just a thought, anyway.
    Good luck!! :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Ask who he would recommend and perhaps set up a meeting with them. I don't think its worth risking your child's health to have someone you are used to there. 5 weeks may be enough time for you to be comfortable with a new doc. During my labor a dr. had to be called in to do an emergency delivery (midwife wasn't able to use the equiptiment). I would have no idea what the guy's name was if it wasn't hte same as my husbands.
    You will have a large support team on your side. Nurses, your hubby, perhaps parents. Give a new doc. a chance. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• just start seeing one of the other dr's in his practice, that way when you get to the date, you'll be better acquainted. what's the reason for the c/s?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I was followed by one ob and because it was a group practice, his partner delivered my baby. I was nervous of that happening as I had never met him, but he was awesome and I felt very comfortable with him. I had my husband and mom there too so that helped.
    stassy77

Answer by stassy77 at 2:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2009