Should I start my 3 year old in school now? (preschool)

RU4OSU2

Asked by RU4OSU2 at 11:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• try a half day church preschool
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• have you read the book "Better Late Than Early" by Dr.James Dobson? -sp?- is a great book i did this with my first 2 kids, not my 3rd He needed speech therapy so he went to pre-school

annyPG

Answer by annyPG at 12:14 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• totally! if there were preschools that start at 2 here, i'd already have my son in it. the sooner you get them in, the easier it is for them to transition them to kindergarden and they need to learn as much as they can early, they need to know alot in kindergarden these days. we've moved, but i used to be a preschool teacher for 2 & 3 year olds a few years ago. they don't start at 2 where we're at now, so since i'm familiar with teaching 2 yr olds, i went ahead and started homeschooling him. you can do this as well, there are groups on here that can help you and give you advice.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:17 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• To annyPG, can't find the book in Amazon.com so what is the book again and who is the author?
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 12:28 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• armywife, I still think it's ridiculus to start preshool at 2 y/o... I live in a county where have the best schools score above average of the nation but I still don't see the point to put those toddlers to school so early. My girls are doing great in 2nd and 1st grades now, who never gone to preschool, not even a min..
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 12:33 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• That is totally your choice. I put my 2 older sons in a preschool at around 3. I have a special needs son starting on his 3rd birthday in a classroom that has specil needs children along with typical childen. It is where i placed my oldest son first and he loved it. He just thought it was a big play group. It also exposed him to kidss that may be different from him. I think children can benefit from preschool socially and emotionally. It all depends on your child and what is best for them. The program was for 21/2 hrs. 3 days a week.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My kids were in preschool at 3, for 4 hours/day 3 days/week and it gave me so much time! I could get all my cleaning/errands done during that time so that when they came home, I could actually spend time playing with them - it was good for all of us!

Answer by missanc at 8:39 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Only you know the needs of your child better than anyone else. It is important to make an informed decision and couldn't hurt to do some research about the different views on when to start "schooling" children. Everyone has an opinion. My three year old is in preschool due to the fact that (on his own with no formal teaching) he is alredy site reading simple words and has taken interest in formal learning. We enrolled him in a private school that best fits our philosophy as parents but also is a learning method that suits him. He attends a very non traditional type of school. We love the confidence and changes we see in him. And he has friends he talks about. It is so cute.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I think preschool has been great for my daughter. During her first year she learned a lot and enjoyed it very much. She will be starting her second year and she's looking forward to going, she's even been asking all summer when she goes back. At first my family thought I was rushing her into school, but after a year I feel that it has benefited her very much and they see it too.
    momofbabygirl_2

Answer by momofbabygirl_2 at 1:10 PM on Sep. 10, 2009