Would getting rid of EIC completely help the deficit?

Why does the gov't hand out EIC when this country is in debt up to our ears. I personally know a couple that will not get married because they would loose EIC on their taxes. Can you imgaine the money that would be saved if the IRS done away with EIC?

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 12:18 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• oh gosh, im a tax preparer and where I live, in California you must be certified and licensed and all this stuff so Im taking redresher classes and I think if we got rid of a lot of stuff it would help, not just EIC

JMO but the extra help really helps some people so Im split in half on that thought
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 12:22 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Dom I am sure it does help some people. However, giving the situation this country is in I think the gov't would find ways to stop things such as EIC.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:27 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I would be willing to give up my EIC if the masses did to help this Country
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I get EIC and am not married (not for that reason.) My fiance and I support our family on a VERY tight budget. Since I am not married, I qualify for food stamps, wic, medicaid and everything else. (even with his income, I would qualify for WIC)
    I do not use any public assistance other than EIC which I feel I deserve for working hard to support my family and paying taxes so other people can use other PA.
    I consider it a way to reward people for working instead of staying home and living off the state. (Since you have to work a certain amount of hours and be in a certain income bracket.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• No one should get back more than what they pay in.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 1:28 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Answered at 10:15 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 by: Anonymous

YOU ARE A GREAT AMERICAN! KUDOS TO YOU!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Sep. 10, 2009