help! My 3 yr old masterbates...what do I do

So my 3 year old daughter figured out that if she lays on her tummy and moves her hips back and forth from right to left it feels pretty good. She will do this all day long. Even when I try to get her out of the house to go play at the park she tells me NO. She wants to just sit in her room and do her "excercise's" all day long. I can only distract her for so long then I've got to make dinner, do the laundry and nurse the baby....what do I do??

LilMzMa

Asked by LilMzMa at 12:28 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Its actually natural and NORMAL. Crazy right? But it is. So I suggest that you just let her do it while at home. Just dont let her do it in public if its noticalble. She will grow out of it, but right now she is just being aware of her body and how it feels.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 12:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• how did she figure this out and has she told you it feels nice?
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 12:33 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• no she has never said anything about how it feels. Im sure she learned it goofing around while laying on her tummy one day...I don't know really
    LilMzMa

Answer by LilMzMa at 12:37 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• If you don't make a big deal about it, it will pass. You just have to explain to her to go in her room and do it. Seriously, at her age, there is nothing sexual to it. She does not know what she is doing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My 2nd DD did the same thing until she turned 5. She is our middle child so I think it's the problem why she did that since she wanted more attention and didn't like to be left alone. She did that especially at nap time and bed time at night though. You may talk to her doc and see what doc says about this. DD's doc wasn't concerned and told us it was normal. I just tried to encourage her to have a good night sleep by having her sister sleeps in her room and putting some speical sky light in her room. This is my two cents.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 12:44 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My son went through a time period when he was 3 where he did it alot.He's now 4 and doesn't do it that often any more.I've noticed it's usually when he's sleepy that he does it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Well according to my ece classes ive been taking this is normal.. at this stage little boys that age are proud of there penises and girls start wondering why they dont have one and they may feel left out so im sure its a way of trying to understand why her body parts are different from boys and why she doesnt have that little extra part. she will grow out of it though dont worry :-) its just that "stage"
    armymum1013

Answer by armymum1013 at 9:11 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• "and girls start wondering why they dont have one and they may feel left out so im sure its a way of trying to understand why her body parts are different from boys and why she doesnt have that little extra part."

A 3 year old girl shouldn't really be exposed to a boys penis long enough to even know the difference or to feel left out.

KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:37 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• A 3 year old girl shouldn't really be exposed to a boys penis long enough to even know the difference or to feel left out.

___

if she has boy siblings she will be exposed to a penis. It's just a fact of life. We have never made a big difference about the differences between boys and girls, but my DD knows that girls look one way and boys look another. She doesn't really seem to care or be affected by it.

As far as the masturbation goes, talk with her about the proper time and place to do it and tell her it's fine to do in her room alone. Not in public and not around people.

It's normal and natural for her to realize that it feels good. It's fine and there's nothing wrong with it. In fact, it's healthy for her to explore her body like that, both now, and when she gets older.

Don't give her a choice about leaving the house to go do fun things. Tell her that she's going...
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:45 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I said according to my ece course :-) i didnt come up with that on my own ok? now if you wanna go take the course and tell the scientist who put the damn theory in the course for college students their wrong be my guest, knock yourself out id like to see how stupid youd feel after that but please dont make me feel stupid for sharing information i learned in a course, at college, about this type of situation, that i thought may have been helpfull.. its really assenine to do that. and it makes you look ignorant to an educated person. so like i said please dont do that and excuse me for being rude but i thought i'd return the favor for ya :-) your welcome.
    armymum1013

Answer by armymum1013 at 9:53 AM on Sep. 10, 2009