I'm going to be a labor coach for my best friend who is single, any pointers?

I was unable to attend classes with her(separate states), and it was a last minute thing, but she really wants me there. I am totally honored. I want to be as supportive as possible, but I'm a little anxious because I've never been in the room during birth(unless it was me doing it). I've had four kids so I think I would know what to do, but you know, it's just different for me to not be the one having the baby. I guess I'm a little excited!lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Don't scare her with labor stories. Just encourage her and tell her how great she's doing, and keep reminding her that soon she's going to be holding that perfect little baby. Hold her hand, help her move around, rub her back if she wants/needs it, etc. Ask her what she needs or wants, but don't be be pushy about it. Just be there for her. You'll be fine. Just keep in mind that it's not you having the baby. Some coaches tend to try to do what THEY would want if it was them in labor, so just don't do that! Unless she asks you what you would do.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:47 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Oh I'm very much aware that it's not me having a baby. I'm very much greatful for that seeing as I had my tubes tied.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Everything the first poster said plus this... and this is very important. Know when to stop. If anyone else will be in the room with her, then facilitate them helping if she wants them to as well. There will likely come a time when touching her distracts her from dealing with her contractions. Read about emotional signposts of labor and encourage her through each contraction until she gets really serious and stays zoned out between them. Once that happens, keep your voice low, keep the lights dimmed and think only positive, opening, decending thoughts. Remind her that each contraction brings her baby that much closer to her. There will also come a time when she doesn't care about the baby any more. Understand this and let it happen. Keep the nurses from flipping on the lights, make everyone stay calm and quiet. Go over her birth plan with her. And if she chooses pain meds, let her know that she still did great. GL!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:41 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Just do for her what you would want done for you. Be there, advocate for her wishes in the birthing and post delivery phases, and just be a friend.
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 10, 2009