How much should a person charge for in home daycare?

I am pregnant with my first child, once I have my baby I am going to be a stay at home mom. I am considering taking in 1 or 2 children 12 months or older and I am wondering what kind of rates I should plan/expect to charge. I live in South Dakota (if that helps)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

• *original poster*
    I think that most in home day cares charge less than what an actual day care facility charges don't they?
    Probably. What I would personally do is call quite a few centers and then some in home daycares and then I would set my rate somewhere in the middle of that. I liked my in home daycare and I paid a little more than I could have elsewhere, but I paid more because I liked her and I also liked the fact that she only had two other children and didn't want to take anymore. I feel that people will pay more if they really like you and are very comfortable leaving their children with you:) You need to make enough money so it's worth it for you. Just do some research and charge a fair price and you'll be fine!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 1:43 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My friend does daycare and she charges $3 an hour in ND.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 12:59 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• That seems extremely low.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• It is very low, but that's the going rate here. She doesn't want to do it anymore. She says its hardly worth it. I just didn't want to discourage you. I'm in ND, though. You could call around to local daycares and ask them what they are charging and base your rate off of that. Good luck.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 1:09 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I pay my nanny $125 a week but she knows that I can't afford anymore than that. I would charge about $5 per hr/ per kid. Most daycares want about $300 a week for a 1-2yr old and more than that for an infant and a little less for a preschooler.
    babyboomboom

Answer by babyboomboom at 1:09 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• *original poster*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Im in college right now (getting my AA and taking classes in early childhood development) so that I can open an in home day care in a few years and I will be charging $125 a week per child.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:19 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• 3$ an hour is a good answer 125 a week is almost the same as 3 an hour
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 1:23 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• $3 an hour seems low but that is per child, and most people cant afford a whole lot more than that.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• *original poster*
    If I could get $3 an hour I would be happy with that! I just don't know if that is asking too much?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Sep. 10, 2009