I dont know if I should be worried or not.

My son Ryley is 21 months old. He is veeeerrrryyy smart. He can open any child locks available to man. He can take things apart and put them back together. He talks frequently, but once he learns a new word, he says it constantly for days/weeks, and then he is over it.. and doesn't say it any more.. Same with blowing kisses, waving. He knows basic words like Bye bye, mom, dad, no, kitty, cup..but wont say them unless he feels like it. He tunes me out, and for a second i thought something might be up with his hearing, because i could yell his name and he wouldnt respond.. but he smiles like he just doesnt want to answer me and eventually responds. He is sometimes a loner and would rather play with his truck his way then share with someone else. I dont know if he is just a stubborn smart aleck or if he has delays? any advice would be wonderful.

rockmom346

Asked by rockmom346 at 1:27 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• to me it just sounds like he likes the challenge of learning new things and then once he is good at them he gets bored. I wouldnt worry, he sounds smart to me
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I agree with anon... sounds like he gets tired of it and moves on but still knows what he has learned. He sounds fine to me! my dd is 22 mos and tends to stick with something new and go through phases like it sounds your son is doing. He sounds pretty smart to me! Maybe a little stubborn... ;)
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:17 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I think he just likes a challenge. Have you voiced your concerns to his doc? As for him not responding to his name, try to stop saying it several times. Say it once, repeat it, and if does not respond, go over, get on his level, and make him look at you. If he still doesn't, take/stop what he is doing by shutting of the tv or putting your hand on his toy. Likely he will get upset, but he will learn that when you call him, you mean it. Same as his words. If you know he can say cup, but he won't, try not giving him the cup for a few minutes till he says it. He will learn that if he really wants it, he will have to use his words. He just sounds like an intelligent, stubborn little boy who knows how to get what he wants.
    kiki2780

Answer by kiki2780 at 4:31 PM on Sep. 10, 2009