What is wrong with UHC?

Sorry i have absolutely NO time to watch the news with my 2 newborns and i never look at the political posts because of drama...
so whats wrong with UHC??? No bashing please. Canada does it...
I have SOOO many medical bills. If it passed, would my bills become invalid?

dennysgirl07

Asked by dennysgirl07 at 1:41 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know what's wrong with it, myself...I think it's past time that we have it!!! I've even been thinking about moving to Canada just to get it...oh, and because it seems so much more peaceful there...
    moore_me03

Answer by moore_me03 at 1:49 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Oh for the love of GOD are you serious?
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:09 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• The UHC will be like Canada's NHS.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/52317
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I meant will NOT be like NHS
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Canada's UHC is paid for by taxes. This "UHC" proposal would create more taxes $ fees on individuals & businesses just like in Canada, but we ALSO would be required to purchase an insurance plan and pay the monthly premiums ourselves - on top of the taxes.

Canada's head of their health care came out last week or the week before saying that the program is collapsing ... the level of technology available for humans in Canada is sad: what is the number of MRI machines there? The equivalent of one per state. The waiting time for an MRI and for all kinds of other tests and treatments is weeks and months.

However, since veterinary medicine is NOT gov't-run, your pet dog can get an MRI t day, there are animal-sized MRI machine everywhere.

Does that tell you something?

Here's a TV 20/20 segment about Canada's system, shown last month:
    http://blogs.abcnews.com/johnstossel/2009/07/canadian-health-care-segment/comments/page/2/
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:20 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• you mean besides everything?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• 1. Our government can't afford it, even with higher taxes AND budget cuts.
    2. It's unconstitutional.
    3. It will create a tremendous imbalance in supply and demand, which will lead to higher costs (to the government, see #1).
    4. Increased demand + the same or fewer care providers = long waits, decreased quality of care.

These are just the MOST basic concerns I have as an economics student. Government meddling in health care (since the early 70's, which is about when our system started going downhill) is WHY your bills are so high.....common sense would dictate that more government interference (when the government can't manage ANYTHING right) would only make the problem worse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Thank u everyone for explaining it to me :)
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 2:44 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Well, and it wouldn't take effect until 2013 I believe so, it probably wouldn't help you now.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 3:06 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Unlike countries like Canada the number of illegals in this country makes it impossible to provide UHC to its citizens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:13 AM on Sep. 10, 2009