Do you think certain native american tribes should receive a check every month?

We should just let bygones be bygones.What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My original response was that the Native Americans had their land stolen, however, the land wasn't stolen from the people who get the checks. It was stolen from their ancestors. I agree that if we're going to give everyone money who have ancestors who have ever been wronged, then start writing checks, because we're all getting something! I should be getting money from the Spanish, the Nazis (who would write that check?), the US, the Turks, and the list goes on. However, the Native Americans have a slightly different situation, as most of the treaties involved compensation to their descendants. So wrong, but legally binding, like so many other things in this country. . . .
    mkJenne

Answer by mkJenne at 5:35 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Well, this was their land before we came here and stole it so they still deserve some kind of compensation don't you think?
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:47 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I agree with imogine. this was they're land and then the english came and stole it, and now they are reduced to tiny little reservations.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:45 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I agree with Cassie and imogine.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:16 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Oh gosh, that is SO over. Why not send EVERYONE that has ever been persecuted a check? Maybe all Christian people should get a check---they've sure been persecuted. Or maybe Jewish folks---they've sure been persecuted. No, no one needs to have restitution paid to them for something bad that happened to them. GET OVER IT!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• To comment on the other replies, no one is making the Native Americans stay on a reservation---they have the same opportunities as anyone to get off the reservations and make something out of themselves. Why should they be paid today for something that happened generations ago? PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY! 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• On a slightly different note, I started thinking about the validity of the claim that the land was stolen from the Native Americans. Throughout history, most land has changed hands through conquering of some sort. True some of it went to a new owner through contracts and an exchange of money, however this wasn't the norm by any stretch of the imagination. I'm not saying that's right, just that if we consider the land rightfully the Native American's how many other lands need to go back to their 'rightful' owners? This is just musing, I'm a poli sci major and think about these things. Feel free not to answer if you feel it will take the thread off track.
    mkJenne

Answer by mkJenne at 5:37 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• No, they should have to struggle like the rest of us.It was our ancestors that did it to theirs.Our hands our clean.Why should we continue to have to pay for something we didn't personally do.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Heck yeah! We came in and took over this ENTIRE COUNTRY. They all deserve a check!
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 7:47 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Anon :30 "Or maybe Jewish folks---they've sure been persecuted"

The germans are still making reperations to the jewish people, and will continue to. What does it matter how long ago it was?
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:02 AM on Sep. 10, 2009