how do i tell him other kids toys aren't his??

my son is 2 1/2. he was playing with our neighbor kid today and thought that all the toys our neighbor brought out were HIS! he wanted to take them home and i said " no hunny, those are tristen's toys, he is sharing them with you.. but you can't take them home" and he started freaking out. i didn't know what else to tell him. how do i let him know that other kids arent his and that he can't bring them home??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 AM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You did what you needed to do. The only thing I would do is to warn him before he plays that those toys are tristens and when you are done playing we are going to leave them with tristen. Then about 2 minutes before you are ready to leave, warn him that he will be leaving in 2 minutes and you will be leaving the toys there. Then if he still has a hard time, redirect him immediately. Try to redirect him before he realizes the toys aren't there. Some children need longer transition times then others and preparing them before you enter into a situation and near the end can sometimes help.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 3:25 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Have him help clean up. My neighbors keep their toys lined up by the front door, and DDs toys are kept in a tub in our "outside closet." When its time to go in, all the kids clean up, putting their toys in their respectful spots. My DD is almost 2, my neighbor's son is almost 3, and we haven't had issues doing this.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:06 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• What you did is about all you can do. At this age, everything is "mine" so it'll just take some time and reminders.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Sep. 10, 2009